walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crock - By the Tourist Trail

Crock - By the Tourist Trail

by Gordie12 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Crock

Date walked: 05/01/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 15.6 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Crock - By the Tourist Trail

Postby Sgurr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Could start an Old Crock's Club, but maybe have to find a new venue for the AGM, possibly Cruach Lerags, though I think there is actually a reasonable way up this.....it's just that we didn't find it at the time. Hill of the Wangie and Knockan both seem to have been tamed (Knockan by a wind farm & H o' W by felling) since folk originally got lost in them. Anyone have any other candidates?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 am

SAM_0969 (690x372).jpg
Sgurr wrote:Could start an Old Crock's Club, but maybe have to find a new venue for the AGM, possibly Cruach Lerags, though I think there is actually a reasonable way up this.....it's just that we didn't find it at the time. Hill of the Wangie and Knockan both seem to have been tamed (Knockan by a wind farm & H o' W by felling) since folk originally got lost in them. Anyone have any other candidates?

Well i did strathfinella as i reckoned it would be good training for Crock :lol:
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:Well i did strathfinella as i reckoned it would be good training for Crock :lol:

Wow, the trees have grown a bit since we did it in 2002

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Benjaminnevis wrote:Well i did strathfinella as i reckoned it would be good training for Crock :lol:

Wow, the trees have grown a bit since we did it in 2002

I think if you can find the track up the center of strathfinella early you could pop up and down in a couple hours how ever i started in auchenblae and it was a nightmare :crazy: :crazy: . looks a bit more open when you did it Sgurr but now totally inclosed and you have to ask why did they plant trees that close to the trig point. there is tree felling on going i think but not sure if i prefer the maze of trees or the mess the tree felling leaves.

The potential for a great circular walk on strathfinella hill with some path construction tho.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby wjshaw2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 pm

neilfromperth wrote:The tourist trail as detailed no longer exists I am afraid. From a couple of hundreds metres before Tulloch to 300 metres past it there has been extensive felling. It is still best to carry on up the track past Tulloch and past the stacks of cut trees until the big clearing is reached. I chose a route up following tracks made by the logging machines that carry on almost to the hill top. There is no corridor of trees , in fact nothing between the access track and the top of the Crock other than thousands of stumps! There was fresh snow covering the hill all the way down to the Freuchies today, yet track to summit was under 20 minutes despite the snow.

Crock is no longer surrounded by forest. Pity really. As long as you don't trip over tree roots it's a pretty easy hill now, but also pretty boring.

The portal is still there! I walked down it yesterday having hacked up the hill from the east. Actually, having something to hack with would've made it much easier. Walk report in production...
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 pm

The portal is still there! I walked down it yesterday having hacked up the hill from the east. Actually, having something to hack with would've made it much easier. Walk report in production...[/quote]

Great news, the portal remains!!!!

If you did Crock from the east did you come from Hare Cairn????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby wjshaw2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:42 pm

I did indeed :)
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland