walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spean Bridge To Rannoch

Spean Bridge To Rannoch

Postby GaryandDawn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Date walked: 26/05/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forgot I had these,

Last year I decided to catch the train up to Spean Bridge and walk down to Rannoch, after a good first day, working my way down to Loch Treig and camping overnight, I set off on the sunday towards Rannoch, first few hours were fine, temperatures a bit lower than the previous day, until I got to the old Corrour lodge, one misplaced step and I went arse over tit and managed to twist my ankle, sat in a crumpled heap I dug my map out to try and decide if I should push on to Rannoch or head back to Corrour, as luck would have it, I was probably smack bang in the middle, so off I limped towards Rannoch. In hindsight maybe not the best idea as the last couple of miles were absolute torture, especially having to walk on tarmac. To make matters worse I was about 4 hours early for the train (I would have made the earlier one if not for my slip, trip and fall) and there was nowhere to go for a beer, the hotel was guests only. Oh well might as well warm up some soup.

The photos below are in no particular order but I loved the feeling of remoteness you get and the welcoming sign

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GaryandDawn
Ambler

Munros:1   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Spean Bridge To Rannoch

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 pm

these are weird pictures, what is that blue stuff above the hills?? :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 pm

mrssanta wrote:these are weird pictures, what is that blue stuff above the hills?? :lol:

I believe it's called "Blue Sky" certainly a rarity round these parts :D
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:03 am

That's what struck me too about your pics - the blue skies! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland