walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a'Chlamain

Carn a'Chlamain

Postby bio-man » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 am

Route description: Càrn a'Chlamain

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Chlamain

Date walked: 15/08/2008

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn a' Chlamain route description

I love the walk through Glen Tilt, the scenery is tremendous. Looking down the gorges to the River Tilt then once you clear the woods, up the glen towards the mountains. Being on a time limit to catch the return train, I once again favoured the track that leads to Forest Lodge and beyond. Although hard on the legs near the end on the return, it does save you a bit of time.

I started off at 1000, an hour later than planned, thanks to a broken down freight train at Pitlochry and being bussed from Perth. Still, Scotrail did well to organise everything as quickly as they did. The 1604 train was out, so I could relax a bit and aim for the 1824.

The weather was excellent, but i was glad of the few clouds and cool breeze. The walk to the Allt Craoinidh took me just under 2 hours. I made an error the night before and gotten involved in good conversation after a good meal and too many glasses of Chardonnay!! Still, it was enjoyable at the time!! Once you leave the track, the initial stage is as described..."very steep"!! I was struggling, due to the previous night's exersions and the heat, the bulldozed track didn't help either. There is scope for leaving this track a couple of times then re-joining it and this proved worthwhile. I then left the track, as described, and started to enjoy myself. The final approach to the summit is not difficult, although Like Beinn a'Ghlo opposite, the rocky section near the summit would be tricky in the wet. The feeling of remoteness and space is well described, although the sight of a Land Rover about 1/2 a mile away took the edge of the feeling!! Great views though. The immenseness of Beinn a'Ghlo is incredible, I couldn't get the whole range in one camera shot!!

I didn't fancy the return along the bulldozed track, so instead dropped down to the Allt Craoinidh and walked alongside it until I reached a lower track to the starting point. Boots off and a cold dip in the river refreshed me for the return down the glen. Up and down from here took me 3 hours. Had I been less tired, probably less, but was happy with that. I chilled out for about 30 minutes here, enjoying the sun. then headed back down the glen. All was going well, until 1/4 of the way down I got the fright of my life!! I'd heard the fighter jets during the day but hadn't seen any. This one, however, roared sideways over the top of my head and round towards Beinn a'Ghlo!! The noise was incredible!! The 3 folk walking towards me actually dropped to their knees, it was that low!!

Anyway, back at the station and an ice cold pint in the bothy bar!! Glen Tilt had been quite busy. Walkers, cyclists and Land Rovers. Incidently, Marble Lodge has now opened up and is being rented out. An excellent day, made more so by the weather, the views and the walk through Glen Tilt. Not a mountain for a wet day with low cloud!!
Attachments
North towards Braeriach2.jpg
From the summit through the Allt Craoinidh2.jpg
Carn a'Chlamain from the Allt Craoinidh2.jpg
Beinn a'Ghlo2.jpg
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland