walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor (Glen Isla) - Snared!! 1

Meall Mor (Glen Isla) - Snared!! 1

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mor (Angus)

Date walked: 11/01/2013

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2.4 km

Ascent: 160m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My plan for today was to walk Meall Mor followed by a short drive to take in Badandun Hill but the weather was fairly rubbish - mild but constant low cloud so initially, I settled for Meall Mor.

Preparation was the usual OS check and as the hill is in Angus I can be fairly certain there wil be a report from either GraemeD or The Rodmiester to read before setting off - there was (from both)!

Parking opposite Over Craig near Drumore Loch there is loads of space to get the car safely off the road and out of the way.

Meall Mor 1.jpg
Parking by roadside

Walking past the open gate and on to the track for no more than about forty yards I immediately turned left, crossed a low wall and then followed the fire break straight uphill.

Meall Mor 2.jpg
Fire break

It's then just a case of following a straight line up the hill which is quite steep in places.

Meall Mor 3.jpg
Continuing up the hill

Looking back towards Over Craig.

Meall Mor 5.jpg
Over Craig through the low cloud

Crossing the wall at the exact point described by The Rodmiester I got my left boot caught in a snare.

Meall Mor 6.jpg
The Rodmiester becoming a tad competitive about his sub 2000's???

After a few seconds of trying brute force I realised there was a catch I could pull towards me so I could release my foot from the trap. Last week a psycho Pheasent attack, this week snared.............next week??

Carrying on above the tree line I found myself paying a bit more attention to where I was walking but no more snares were encountered.

Summit now in view.

Meall Mor 7.jpg
Five minutes from the summit

And the summit is reached.

Meall Mor 8.jpg
Meall Mor summit cairn

One of those days where the view was the same in every direction..........a dull grey murky nothing so nothing to do but head straight back down to the car.

On the way down there was a fleeting glimpse of Drumore Loch.

Meall Mor 9.jpg
Drumore Loch through the mist

The walk back down the hill takes longer than expected as the wet conditions make the grass and rocks pretty slippery so worth taking care.

All done in an hour but not much point in going on to Badandun Hill in this mist so time to head for home earlier than expected...................unless, would this be a good day to walk..............................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:112   Corbetts:63
Grahams:18   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Meall Mor (Glen Isla) - Snared!! 1

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Good work Gordie12,another done! I'm sure you pinched my picture, 2nd photograph :D

So my snare didn't stop you, must think of other ways :lol:

Going back down was a bit tricky, not to be rushed with those hidden stones, glad you got back unscathed. Hope our reports helped!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Good work Gordie12,another done! I'm sure you pinched my picture, 2nd photograph :D

So my snare didn't stop you, must think of other ways :lol:

Going back down was a bit tricky, not to be rushed with those hidden stones, glad you got back unscathed. Hope our reports helped!

Telling me there was no cattle near Turin Hill was a good attempt when the hill top was full of them :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:112   Corbetts:63
Grahams:18   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Good stuff. This wee hill has seen a lot of action in the past few weeks ..... after years of apparent obscurity. :shock: Anyhow, I wonder whatever scrape you'll get into next on these wee Subs. :?: Psycho pheasant, The Rodmiester's snare....... Next thing you'll be telling us you've been and gone and had a run-in with the ****hole farmer of Turin Hill! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby hills » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 pm

These hills have all manner of traps eh, shame about the weather, so dull right now.
hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:47 am

Weathers not been much lately but good to have short walks like this to do in bad weather :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland