walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn of the Monadh Liath - A gentle end to 2012

Geal Charn of the Monadh Liath - A gentle end to 2012

Postby PeteR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Route description: Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 26/12/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I know that 2013 walking has commenced, but thought I’d sneak in a quick report of my final walk of 2012. All in all a good year, with 54 new ticks on the Munro register, 4 repeats and a whopping 3 more Corbetts off the list too :D :D

It’s been a year where I’ve paid a visit to a number of less interesting hills by some peoples standards, but all in all I don’t think I’d say I’d had a bad walk all year. Probably took one of my best photos ever too, on one of these so called lesser hills :D It was perhaps fitting, therefore, that I ended the year on another of those less interesting hills – the Monadh Liath Geal Charn :D

This should have been a Christmas Eve walk, but a touch of the dreaded Noro Virus at the weekend put paid to that plan. MrsR kindly agreed though that as I had been on best behaviour with the family on Christmas Day I could reward myself with a wee Boxing Day walk :lol: :lol: Think my luck was in, as the Boxing Day weather was much, much better than on the Monday :thumbup:

I was intending to start the walk from the Spey Dam and incorporate the main “feature” of the hill – An Dirc Mor. There were lots of no-parking notices though so instead I continued along to Garva bridge and did the hill from the more traditional route. Had quite a herd of cattle to avoid on the roadside just before the parking area :shock: Left me a bit concerned for my shiny, nearly new motor for the rest of the day. Luckily they left the silver bullet alone :lol:

As for the walk – ok, it’s an easy route and perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing hill to some. But I for one enjoyed it :D The usually boggy ground was not too bad at the lower end and was pretty solid at the midpoint. Nearer the top and it was a white, winter wonderland :D :D Not a taxing walk, just a great day out on a sunny, crisp winters day :D :D

At the point where the Feith Talagain was met by the Allt Coire nan Dearcag I did my usual.......and parted company with the path :lol: Seemed like a good idea at the time, but with the lethargic after effects of the Noro virus I probably made harder work of the easy walk than I needed to :(

Eventually I was on the white stuff and enjoying myself. Met the only other person on the hill that day shortly after. I say met..........they were descending down the path and I was away to the right of it ploughing through the snow and heather :lol:

Still, I now knew where the path was, so headed for it. So much easier to get onto the summit plateau from that point :D

It’s a big plateau too. Easy to get misplaced in foul weather I would imagine. Thankfully I had sunshine and blue sky and it was an easy stroll on to the summit cairn :D :D :D Simply great views opening up on the way up onto the plateaus - to the Ardverickie/Alder hills, Meagaidh, Drumochter, Loch Lochy as well as out toward the distant Mullardoch hills (at least I think it was them). Higher up of course the rest of the bleak Monadh Liath plateau came into view – looking pretty special with its coating of snow. And the great views were topped off by the spectacular plateau of the Monadh Ruadh on the other side of the A9 :D :D :D

Oh yes, Geal Charn might not be a mighty hill, with razor sharp ridges, pinnacles or deep sided cliffs. But for views alone I was pleasantly surprised :thumbup:

From the summit of Geal Charn I made my way over via the Unneag Coire an Lochain to the minor top of Beinn Sgiath, where I was able to continue enjoying the views – especially to the Cairngorms :D :D Then it was the easy walk down the broad ridge in the general direction of the Allt Coire nan Dearcag, picking up the path back to Garva bridge and the motor. Thankfully the coos had shifted by the time I drove back :lol:

So that was the end of 2012 for me :D :D Some great walks, great memories, experiences gained and the odd soaking or three :lol: Here’s a selection of photies of my Geal Charn experience along with a little video-ette just......something of a lame excuse to get a few more photies out there and inflict some more of my eclectic taste in music on you all :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF4624.JPG
Sun rise over Geal Charn

DSCF4630.JPG
View down the Easan Buidhe

DSCF4642.JPG
Sneaky peak of Geal Charn

DSCF4672.JPG
Ardverickie/Alder hills on the route up

DSCF4688.JPG
Beinn Bheoil perhaps?

DSCF4690.JPG
Another Geal Charn sneaky peak

DSCF4704.JPG
Loch Lochy Munros

DSCF4708.JPG
Eastern Drummochter hills

DSCF4714.JPG
View in the general Meagaidh direction

DSCF4717.JPG
Mullardoch(ish) area?

DSCF4720.JPG
Geal Charn summit plateau, looking to the cairn

DSCF4722.JPG
Now taking in the Monadh Ruadh

DSCF4724.JPG
And now some wilderness

DSCF4726.JPG
Looking back the way I had come

DSCF4738.JPG
Zooming in on the cairn

DSCF4741.JPG
At the Geal Charn cairn

DSCF4747.JPG
Monadh Liath

DSCF4764.JPG
Monadh Ruadh

DSCF4768.JPG
Beinn Sgiath

DSCF4776.JPG
Unneag Coire an Lochain

DSCF4788.JPG
Monadh Ruadh again

DSCF4792.JPG
Beinn Sgiath plateau

DSCF4834.JPG
Cloud coming in over Ardverickie/Alder hills

DSCF4839.JPG
Toward the general Meagaidh direction on the route down

DSCF4850.JPG
Garva bridge and no coos :-)

PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Geal Charn of the Monadh Liath – A gentle end to 2012

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Nowt boring about the pictures,fine way to end last year.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Yep,braw pics pete,looks like you picked one of the few good days of the hols :wink: Hope that virus has gone
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:15 am

Great year end wander Pete, I would have worried about those cattle too. Me and a friend went walking in Nottinghamshire, we met up and parked in a small off road parking area close to the river trent, when we came back cows had used our vehicles as scratching posts....they were both written off due to the number of dented panels :lol: :lol:

Anyway, you've had a cracking year mate that will take some beating in 2013, but I look forward to reading about you trying to do just that :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

54 new Munros in 2012 is fabulous! :clap: At this rate you'll be done in no time... 8)

I'm wondering if you headed out today and how you found it? Rain in Inverness means snow up there! :shock:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:20 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Nowt boring about the pictures,fine way to end last year.

Cheers GLW.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm

pigeon wrote:Yep,braw pics pete,looks like you picked one of the few good days of the hols :wink: Hope that virus has gone

Thanks pigeon. Virus is all gone, but still a bit lethargic in the legs, as I discovered in my last walk :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great year end wander Pete, I would have worried about those cattle too. Me and a friend went walking in Nottinghamshire, we met up and parked in a small off road parking area close to the river trent, when we came back cows had used our vehicles as scratching posts....they were both written off due to the number of dented panels :lol: :lol:

Anyway, you've had a cracking year mate that will take some beating in 2013, but I look forward to reading about you trying to do just that :thumbup:

Cheers Chris. Not sure I'd want to repeat your experience with the cows. Did park up once near a herd of highland cattle, but luckily they kept their horns to themselves :lol:

I suspect petrol prices will have an impact on 2013 walking :( as many of the remaining Munros are miles away. Negotiations with MrsR are ongoing for a few long weekends so that I can tick a few off though :lol: If anything my Corbett count should increase a bit faster
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 pm

dogplodder wrote:54 new Munros in 2012 is fabulous! :clap: At this rate you'll be done in no time... 8)

I'm wondering if you headed out today and how you found it? Rain in Inverness means snow up there! :shock:

Thanks dogplodder. I think progress in 2013 may be a bit slower. I've had a couple of great years though, so can't (won't) complain. In the early days I never really thought compleation was on the cards, but its funny how the idea has grown more attractive with my experiences and as the number of blue dots increased
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

A fine year for you! Looking forward to reading about your adventures in 2013. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for posting, Pete R, this brings back memories when my daughter Compleated a few years ago. Great photographs and wonderful video, looks like really nice weather for you, no wind, underfoot conditions not too tiring, crisp dry snow and blue sky, what more could you want to end 2012. Bring on 2013 :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland