walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A snowy strathspey quickie!

A snowy strathspey quickie!

Postby ed_hill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Mhor (Grantown)

Date walked: 13/01/2013

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.3 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A lovely snowy day today here in Grantown so headed up a wee hill on my back door that I'd not yet done. I parked at the end of the Glen Beg road before heading over the bridge and up the track to the farm.

IMG_3031.JPG

We passed through the farm yard and took the first left fork in the track up the hill and through the woods, the track soon split again and again I went left following the contour of the hill before it turned uphill again. Lots of pheasants, pigeons and woodcock in the wood so Flynn was a happy spaniel! Soon we emerged out of the woods to see the summit.

IMG_3032.JPG

We picked up a rough path through the frozen heather pretty much directly towards the summit, a few grouse about on the hill.

IMG_3040.JPG

We soon reached the summit - a trig point - with views over the cromdales, cairngorms, grantown and the wilderness towards the north. By this point poor Flynn was gathering significant snow balls on his chest and leg feathers - I kept trying to breakthem down but it just seemed to speed up their build up! He was still snowballed up several hours after coming home. We headed back the same way we came up with thoughts of soup, sausage rolls and ski sunday! I also decided to come back here when theres a bit more snow and sledge all the way home - should be awsome!

IMG_3047.JPG
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Munros:236   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Re: A snowy strathspey quickie!

Postby gmr82 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Lovely pics, especially when Flynn is there - gorgeous dog! Maybe when you're home you could get the hairdryer on that chest of his to rid him of the snowballs! Hopefully he won't react like my girlfriends dog, who runs away literally with his tail between his legs, and even if its turned off he refuses to come near me until the hairdryer is out of my hand. Once I do he comes over like nothing has happened :lol: . If you've not already seen it, check out the Mutts on Munros topic in the General forum http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17003
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby ed_hill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 pm

cheers gmr82! Flynn loves the hairdryer anyway - he's always at my girlfriends side every morning when its on getting cosied up! He's already on the Mutts on Munros thread once or twice!

Was speaking to one of the girls at work and she recommended Show Shine (a horsey product) to prevent the snow balling so will give that a try!
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Postby Raven » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 pm

No need to buy anything just give the chest hair a quick trim back same as the longer hair on the legs, it works perfect.
Raven
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:3   
Location: Inverness & Libya North Africa only when things settle down again

Postby hills » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Looks a nice walk, bet your dog enjoyed it eh... :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby ed_hill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Raven wrote:No need to buy anything just give the chest hair a quick trim back same as the longer hair on the legs, it works perfect.

You can't trim his hair! He's like sampson - thats where he gets his strength and character from!!
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 pm

What a gorgeous wee dog you have, lovely markings. Doesn't look too bothered by the snow either!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland