walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hare Cairn - Fade the Grey!!!

Hare Cairn - Fade the Grey!!!

Postby hills » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hare Cairn

Date walked: 14/01/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 250m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill: Hare Cairn
Distance: 10.5km
Time: 3 hours.
Ascent: 250m

Rodmiester did a super report on this hill recently, that brought it back to mind, and highlighted a path through the trees, that isn’t marked on my map, cheers RM. :D

I followed his route to the summit, and really cant add anything new to it, but I can add some pretty snowy pictures. Start point, south west end of Backwater Reservoir. Carpark 250 590.

Previous TR.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27926

Heading up the track on the west side of the water, picture postcard stuff.

Even the obscure tree groups looked lovely.

Happy days….

This photo shows the route in miniature, the track along the water’s edge, that’s the top of Hare Cairn peeping out top left, and you are heading for the trees in the middle.

Follow the track that hugs the water, until it swings away to the right, then look for this gate in the trees, you can just see it in the centre of this photo.

Here’s a better view of that gate at 250 620.

And here it is, a clear way through the forest, just lovely today, I love snowy trees.

Exit gate, all gates are walker friendly on this route.

And up the hill, keeping close to the trees kept me out of the deepish powder.

There is a deer fence to cross once you gain the ridge, they never seem to think anyone will want to summit these hills, this happens a lot. But its not a hard one, would be with a large dog though.

Just lovely, Ben Tirran I guess.

An old favourite of mine, Monega Hill, leading to Glas Maol.

Mount Blair, striking in white.

Driesh.

Cat Law

Corwharn

Marilyn Baggers nemesis - Crock

Mayar

Oh by the way, its just a short walk along the ridge once you cross the fence.

I decided to return the same way.

Good to be alive day……

Great result when I got back to the track, someone had driven up it, breaking up that powder, even though I was on track, walking in this stuff is never that easy.

But it sure makes things pretty, there’s been nothing but grey for weeks and weeks, so no complaints from me like. Lovely…..

I cut over to the ski centre on the way back, got this nice shot of Badundun.

And just to top the day off, a huge herd of deer showing us how steep climbs are done…

Happy bunny….. More Blue and White please, fade the grey…Thanks again RM. :D
Last edited by hills on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Re: Hare Cairn - Fade the Grey!!!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm

WOW! what great photographs! :clap: :D What an excellent day it must have been, what was the access roads like? and you got Blue skies as well, what a bonus. Thanks for posting, great stuff :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Wow, what a fantastic day and great photos!!!

I can only hope I get a day like you had when I head for this hill sometime soon.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby morag1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm

:clap: What a great walk, and lovely photos, well done you

Just wondering exactly where the access point for this hill is, is it near Edzell by any chance?
If so I might be able to stop off on the way north to visit family, would certainly like to give it a go, looks a great walk, thanks for posting :D
morag1

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 pm

morag1 wrote::clap: What a great walk, and lovely photos, well done you

Just wondering exactly where the access point for this hill is, is it near Edzell by any chance?
If so I might be able to stop off on the way north to visit family, would certainly like to give it a go, looks a great walk, thanks for posting :D

Morag 1, access through Kirriemuir take the Glen Isla road B951, turn right at Dykend junction, signposted for Backwater Reservoir, and park at reservoir car park.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby hills » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Access roads were kinda hairy like.....But its a fairly short distance from the main road to the carpark, and not that hilly, so the car managed ok. On my return I saw the gritter on the east side, wouldnt have thought this area would be covered, but it is. :D

Morag, I went a slightly different way, from Blairgowrie, to Alyth, then from Alyth the B952/4 signposted Glenisla, then took the signposted route to the reservoir at Dykend. There's another sub2 on the other side, Creigh Hill, and you can do Corwharn from here, so there are options from this lovely reservoir.

Im going to follow you on Crock soon RM, wonder if the luck will hold. :lol:
hills
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 pm

hills wrote:Access roads were kinda hairy like.....But its a fairly short distance from the main road to the carpark, and not that hilly, so the car managed ok. On my return I saw the gritter on the east side, wouldnt have thought this area would be covered, but it is. :D

Morag, I went a slightly different way, from Blairgowrie, to Alyth, then from Alyth the B952/4 signposted Glenisla, then took the signposted route to the reservoir at Dykend. There's another sub2 on the other side, Creigh Hill, and you can do Corwharn from here, so there are options from this lovely reservoir.

Im going to follow you on Crock soon RM, wonder if the luck will hold. :lol:

Like you I go to Meigle then up to Alyth roundabout past Alyth Golf Course. I thought Morag 1 was coming from the North East, maybe I got it wrong with my assumption. Hope to have another bash at Duchray Hill this Wednesday, fingers crossed the gritters have done their job. Yep I hope your luck holds for Crock, you will need it :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Man, that is glorious looking! 8) :clap: I was hoping to get out somewhere on Wednesday and had thought about this (also inspired by the Rodmiester's report). However, I had come to the conclusion that, given the favorable forecast, I was going to head for something a little more "substantial". This has got me swithering again though..... Those photos man! :mrgreen:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Graeme D wrote:Man, that is glorious looking! 8) :clap: I was hoping to get out somewhere on Wednesday and had thought about this (also inspired by the Rodmiester's report). However, I had come to the conclusion that, given the favorable forecast, I was going to head for something a little more "substantial". This has got me swithering again though..... Those photos man! :mrgreen:

One of these days 'hills', 'Graeme D' 'Gordie 12' and 'The Rodmiester' are going to meet on an Angus Hill :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby morag1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks Hills and the Rodmiester for your great information. I live in the central belt and often travel north to visit family in the Granite City. We stop off in Edzell for a break and I have been looking for short walks in the area we can do before heading north again. This looks a lovely hill with great views :D
morag1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Snowy pictures look great. I got my eye on this and Crock, hopefully within the next month or so. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Hills, Iv'e taken the huff, you have managed 2 Great Reports and I ain't got any, that's nae fair. I know it must be your cracking photographs that have swung it :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby hills » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Course it is RM, we have all been suffering from acute greyness, nothing like a bit of blue sky and snow to cheer things up.... 8)

Morag, hope you visit this area, it really is very nice. Not sure if you have done this hill, but there's a Graham quite near Edzell called Hunt Hill, it suffers from a very unsexy name, but the hill and the walk to it is anything but. It's a cracking walk.....

Here's a wee taster.

Well worth a looksee. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm

I've looked at your photos several times and all I can say is..... those blue skies are good for the soul! :clap:

LIke you I was getting fed up with grey but seeing these is such a tonic. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:33 pm

morag1 wrote:Thanks Hills and the Rodmiester for your great information. I live in the central belt and often travel north to visit family in the Granite City. We stop off in Edzell for a break and I have been looking for short walks in the area we can do before heading north again. This looks a lovely hill with great views :D

There is also Hill of Wirren not far off the Forfar/Brechin road to the North Glen Lethnot and you can be up and down in two hours if your pushed for time, see my recent report :) Now it's decision time! which hill? :?
The Rodmiester
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland