walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie chiller!

Ben Chonzie chiller!

Postby JimboJim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 24/02/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having failed miserably the previous month on Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Big Jesper persuaded me to have another try on something a wee bit easier – even you can manage this one, he said, not altogether reassuringly. Having also managed to flush out Billygoats Meechan onto the hill too, it looked like it would be good for laughs, if nothing else.
P2240003_1033_800.JPG
Feeling cocky?

The weather didn’t look too hot, as we left Mid Argyll – well, it wouldn’t in February, would it, but it looked like we ought to avoid any precipitation, which would be a bonus. We decided, well, more like Charles, decided we would go for the route via Glen Lednock, perhaps with us deadbeats in mind? I was just glad to make it to Invergeldie, as Jesper threw the 4x4 round the narrow twists and ups and downs from Comrie, dreaming of the Monte Carlo rally, or something similar. Anyway, we were soon back to reality, togged up and on our way round the two houses at Coishavachan, where a stiff breeze was giving the washing a good blow.
DSCF9908.JPG
Myself and Charles, aka Big Jesper.

The track is quite good and easy enough to follow, passing a small dam to cross the Invergeldie burn about one mile in. We continued up the steepening track and I was beginning to think we were making good progress towards the summit, when Big Jesper pointed us in the right direction, to head steeply northwards up the flank of the hill, instead of the appealing , but much lower Meall na Seide to the SE.
DSCF9875_1082_800.JPG
The Stig?

Another dose of reality soon kicked as as Jimmy and Billy found out that hill climbing can be hard work when one has to leave the beaten path, for the steep, grassy slopes of open hill. Progress slowed dramatically, but after a few breather’s and any other excuse we could find for a stop, we gradually approached more level ground, where the odd pocket of snow was lying in our path, as we picked up the line of fence posts, which conveniently guide one toward the summit, heading NE along a remarkably flat top for about a kilometre, to the cairn at the top.
DSCF9880.JPG
Towards somewhere
DSCF9881_1068_800.JPG
Along the top.

Being very exposed on top – me and the hill, it all of a sudden got very breezy and very cold! We huddled into the shelter with a couple of other walker’s who were feeling it as cold as we were, quickly trying to get some coffee and grub down our throats. It only took a few moments with the gloves off to take a photo, for the fingers to turn to ice. Charlie thought the wind chill might make it as low as -15ºC maybe, so we weren’t hanging around too long before heading back the way we came, spotting a few of the well camouflaged mountain hares darting through the snow.
DSCF9884.JPG
Loch Turret

It wasn’t too long before we were down on the track, glad to be out the wind and a good bit warmer, enjoying the banter with Billy and Jaf, having managed my second Munro. It seems a good while ago now, but it will be a long time till I forget the effects of that cold wind.
DSCF9900_1280_786.JPG
To the south?
Attachments
DSCF9874_1067_800.JPG
Towards the fence.
DSCF9862_600_800.JPG
Freezin'
DSCF9886_1256_800.JPG
Chillin'
DSCF9896_1077_800.JPG
Hare today....
DSCF9907.JPG
And Charles and William
DSCF9883.JPG
And Me an' Billygoats.
DSCF9887.JPG
This is fun!?
JimboJim
Walker

Munros:227   Corbetts:36
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:20

Re: Ben Chonzie chiller!

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm

That guy at the back in the 1st photograph...........is it Dougie Donnelly???
Gordie12
Mountaineer

Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:18   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Ben Chonzie chiller!

Postby JimboJim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Gordie12 wrote:That guy at the back in the 1st photograph...........is it Dougie Donnelly???

Doubt my pal, Billy would be overimpressed at your guess, but maybe so? Either way, no, not Dougie.
JimboJim
Walker

Munros:227   Corbetts:36
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland