walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lingmell in the snow

Lingmell in the snow

Postby DaveB1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lingmell

Hewitts included on this walk: Lingmell

Date walked: 04/11/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 7.09 km

Ascent: 787m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the final catch up walk done on 4th November 2012. A solo effort this time, I’d been up to Scotland to see Dad, so decided because the weather was set reasonably fair I’d stop off in Wasdale on the Saturday, stay overnight and do a walk (Lingmell) on the Sunday. Camping in winter would be a first and having experienced it, possibly the last. I booked into the NT campsite after realising that Carlisle to Wasdale on the way down was just as far as M6 to Wasdale on what would have normally been the way up!
Arriving at the Campsite and discovering I was the sole tented visitor I had the place to myself, a quiet night then! :lol:
Got the tent pitched in the driest place I could find, had some food then decided a pint would be good so set off for the Wasdale Head Inn. It was a nice paddle up the road in the rain, clad in full waterproofs and wondering if I’d read MWIS correctly. :crazy: Two pints of Arran Brewery ‘Clyde Puffer’ later and a good read of some papers and the history of the pub and it was bedtime, on with the waterproofs and another paddle back to the tent.
Home for the Night.jpg
Home for the Night

I got a good night’s sleep and woke to this sight.
Great Gable at Dawn.jpg
Great Gable at Dawn

A leisurely breakfast, strike camp and then off up the Scafell path to Lingmell, it was a glorious morning, cold but clear and got some good pics.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Towards Mosedale.jpg
Towards Mosedale

Wastwater.jpg
Wastwater

The Scafells in snow.jpg
The Scafells in snow

I thought the route looked steep on the map and sure enough it was, by the time I got to the first stile, breakfast was well burnt off! :shock: :lol:
Looking up!.jpg
Looking up!

The going was good and continued in the uphill fashion for another 500 metres till I reached a wall where the snowline started and I could sneak a quick brew. The couple who had been behind me caught up and then blazed trail towards the summit of Lingmell which was now clearly visible.
Lingmell Summit.jpg
Lingmell Summit

Suitably refreshed I did what all good hill walkers do and followed their footsteps through the often knee deep snow to the summit.
Summit Sticks.jpg
Summit sticks

After soaking up the views and taking photos,
Mosedale Horseshoe.jpg
Mosedale Horseshoe from Lingmell

Styhead Tarn and Helvellyn Range in distance on right.jpg
Styhead Tarn and Helvellyn Range in the distance on right

I propped my back on the cairn and rested with a big silly grin on my face and finished the butties and coffee, a very happy man. :lol: :lol:
From the summit I could see parties going up the path to Scafell Pike, so I just wandered across the col hit the path turned right and headed back to the car. A few families were winding their way up the path and finding the icy conditions hard going, they were all heading for the ‘Pike’, couldn't help thinking they’d be coming down in the dark and hoped they’d be safe.
The way up on the way down!.jpg
The way up from the way down!

As it was I had a great stroll down in the sunshine, back to the car and the long (3 hour) car journey home. No 196 done and dusted and already planning my next visit to Wasdale, where most of the remaining Wainwrights I need are situated.
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Lingmell in the snow

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:49 am

Another cracker Dave, but now you are caught up with your reports you're going to have to go out and do a few more :lol: You must have been keen for a pint to paddle up that bloody road and back in the rain but I guess it would have been a long night otherwise :roll: Really worth all the effort the next morning though, what stunning scenes to have to yourself for so long, great effort -well rewarded mate :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Lingmell in the snow

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another cracker Dave, but now you are caught up with your reports you're going to have to go out and do a few more :lol: You must have been keen for a pint to paddle up that bloody road and back in the rain but I guess it would have been a long night otherwise :roll: Really worth all the effort the next morning though, what stunning scenes to have to yourself for so long, great effort -well rewarded mate :clap:

You're right Chris it would have been a long night without the beer. The Brewery on Arran is right behind where my Auntie Mary used to live at Cladach, just seeing the beer pull label brought back many memories of my chain smoking, fiercely Scottish, mad Aunt, she had a blazing row with the Laird for flying the Lion Rampant flag from her flagpole, guess who won? Next one posted, gradually getting to the goal of compleating the Wainwrights. :D
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland