walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby gedme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 16/01/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 940m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I promised myself that i would get out more this year here we are in January and have been out twice this month already :clap: Yesterday we decided to go do Ben Vorlich and what a day it was a great hill and a great winter walk i truly loved this mountain and though sometimes trudging through the deep snow now and again was bit sore on the legs the views more than made up for it. You see i am off to do Everest Base Camp this year March 28th i leave so this was perfect training for me it was cold snowy and well bloddy great fun and is why i really love Scotland in the winter. We set off from Dundee at 6:45 but due to getting stuck behind some heavy traffic we never arrived at Inveruglas car park untill 9:00 but we were in no rush we were out to enjoy this walk and oh yeah we really did :lol: We went up by the Sloy power station on the tarmac road passing under the railway bridge and what a site to see as Vorlich looms up on the right but the more elegant summit of A'Chois on the left and the pyramid of rock stands proud Ben Vane all covered in snow what a fantastic site just blew me away. We walked to sloy Dam to a small cairn and headed up and up the path could just be seen was boggy at start but soon hit some good walking snow deep and soft. Making our way to the ridge and then a more gentle angle to the trig point then just 200m further on to the true summit.. On our way back made the quickest decent as i slid down ha ha well fell few time to but just made for a great day in our Mountains... :clap:
P1167968.JPG

P1167971.JPG

P1167968.JPG

P1167983.JPG
Jim and Frazer

P1167985.JPG

Sloy Dam what a site
P1167994.JPG
Frazer ice axe out ha ha

P1167997.JPG
The ridge three figures ahead

P1168001.JPG
Myself having a small break

P1168015.JPG
Trig point summit just beyind here

P1168016.JPG
Views were stunning

P1168022.JPG
The snow was deep!!!! ok was kneeling as well

P1168028.JPG
The three of us just look behind us how good does it look?

P1168038.JPG
Could have taken photos all day

P1168023.JPG
snow frozen to stone

Well have lots of photos but i know cant post them all here have to say also i bought the walk the highlands book the Munros great buy and has replaced most my other books. Hope you get some enjoyment from this blog. Thank you for reading.
P1168042.JPG
Deep
Attachments
P1167974.JPG
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby old danensian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Looks like a great day out - expect I should have headed north instead of going south to Galloway

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby damomcgovern » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Looks like you had a cracker of a day, enjoyed your photos and description of the day
Have planned a trip up Vorlich this saturday...not so sure if its a good idea or not with this weather moving in.
Good luck at everest
damomcgovern
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Postby gedme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

old danensian wrote:Looks like a great day out - expect I should have headed north instead of going south to Galloway
Sounds like your day never went to well
We had great day and were lucky with the views. Thanks for your coment very much appreciated.
OD
gedme
Munro compleatist

Postby gedme » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 pm

damomcgovern wrote:Looks like you had a cracker of a day, enjoyed your photos and description of the day
Have planned a trip up Vorlich this saturday...not so sure if its a good idea or not with this weather moving in.
Good luck at everest

Hi yeah was great day Views were outstanding. Yeah weather not great but hope you manage will look out for post.
Thanks for leaving coment very much appreciated.
gedme
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland