walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ploughing up Hart Fell

Ploughing up Hart Fell

Postby meangarry » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Route description: Hart Fell ridges horseshoe, near Moffat

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Hart Fell, Under Saddle Yoke

Date walked: 17/01/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1050m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After some heavy snowfall myself and Papabouba decided to head for the hart fell ridges horseshoe. Callum had not bagged Saddle Yoke so he had been eyeing it up for a while and the conditions made it an easy choice due to poor roads. Its not too far from home. A short time into the walk we noticed we had a pursuer. He wasn't too far behind and as we walked up the ridge towards the saddle he was hot on our heels.Image
Black Craig by meangarry, on Flickr
We admired the views in all directions, the cloud base was sitting high and beneath it the air was clear. Actually it was very clear. The eildons in the east, lowthers to the west and panoramic views of the lakes in the south were all fantastic.Image
The golf ball on the lowthers. by meangarry, on FlickrImage
South to the mist topped lakes. by meangarry, on Flickr
Maybe we spent too much time admiring them or possibly it was a good excuse to rest tired legs. Whatever it was the bloke overtook us.Image
A melted ice cream? by meangarry, on Flickr
We waited for him just after topping under saddle yoke but he never appeared so we continued to whirly gill and stopped for lunch. As we ate the lone walker skirted high around the depression that hosted us for lunch. Perhaps it was the fact we dropped a little height that meant he was ahead. :? Nope, it was because he was a freakish giant! At an inch or two over six foot I'm not the smallest but when we found the lone walkers footprints in the snow his stride was massive, I could barely leap from print to print. In the deep snow we were struggling but this chap seemed to pull away from us all day. How was he so fast??? I'd love to know, we didn't meet him though so are left baffled by this giant hillwalker. Anyways, it didn't matter too much. The views from hartfell rig north were better than I've seen them ever before. The low winter sun was casting a red hue onto the horizon which was peppered with snow topped mountains.Image
North from Hart Fell by meangarry, on Flickr
Fantastic viewing indeed. I love how even on a white cold day all the colours of the rainbow make an appearance.Image
Too much beer? by meangarry, on Flickr
Beautiful blues, green and gold haze. The red mountains. Mixed with the stark contrast of dark rock and white snow, truely spectacular.Image
Hart Fell by meangarry, on Flickr
After leaving the top of hart fell we followed the route and footprints back along the edge of the corries back to the car.
Depth of snow. by meangarry, on Flickr
Beautiful Blues. by meangarry, on Flickr
The light was fading and it was getting colder. The lone walkers car was long gone by the time we were off the hill.
A sledge would be handy. by meangarry, on Flickr
A warm pub and a cold pint beckoned.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

meangarry

Munros:27   Corbetts:17
Grahams:13   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:23   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland