walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wind and no Views up Ben Lomond

Wind and no Views up Ben Lomond

Postby gedme » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 03/01/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First of the year Ben Lomond was looking forward to this but as it turned out had zero views from the top :( But hey we had some good views on way up :) and think i may do this in the summer again as views are meant to be great. We left Dundee at 7am arriving at Rowardennan car park around 9am. Was not a bad start looked promising but as we left car park making our way up behind the visitors center and started our way up the well marked path we could begin to see low cloud cover the summit but onward and upwards going through the gate to the open hillside looking back we were getting our first views of the Loch with rays of sunshine breaking through the clouds what a great site to behold.The path continued up a broad ridge which lead to a steep climb to the summit of the ridge then the eastern flank of Lomond is revealed and the ever impressive eastern corrie. This is where we were hit with the strong winds but still had views at this point so on we went up to the summit and although no views from the top we still had a good day. By the time we began our decent the cloud had come down low so we decided to go back the way we came. Want to go back and come down the Ptamigan ridge so may well do in the summer. So ended a quite good day pity no views from summit but it is winter what can you do?
Thanks for looking.
house.jpg
At the start

The photos were borrowed from my mate Jim as i deleted my ones as thought i had them on lap top stupid or what?
COOL VIEWS.jpg
Good views of Loch Lomond

loch.jpg
Loch Lomond

View.jpg
Beams of sun

The goat.jpg
The goat

Water.jpg
Gods Country or what lol Beautiful

windy.jpg
Windy

jim.jpg
Two Jim's at summit

Lomond.jpg
Myself Happy

summit.jpg
Cloud came down quick

ME AND GOAT.jpg
Myself and the goat

Reason we call wee Jim the goat as he likes to stay at the back but got to say this young guy loves getting out to the mountains.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Re: Wind and no Views up Ben Lomond

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Nice one to start the year with, shame about the views.

I'd highly recommend the Ptarmigan route, it's a great route down from the summit.
Definitely worth a revisit in better weather.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gedme » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice one to start the year with, shame about the views.

I'd highly recommend the Ptarmigan route, it's a great route down from the summit.
Definitely worth a revisit in better weather.

Hi thanks for looking and comment. Yeah plan to go back this year and make decent from Ptarmigan route.
Thanks.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Postby rdtoward21 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Started the year with this hill as well. Went
Up via ptarmigan route, made for an
Enjoyable walk. No views from the
Top either however.
rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Postby gedme » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 pm

rdtoward21 wrote:Started the year with this hill as well. Went
Up via ptarmigan route, made for an
Enjoyable walk. No views from the
Top either however.

Hi yeah have to go back in summer and do Ptarmigan Route and hope to get views. Thanks for looking.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland