walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

walk report

walk report

Postby jennyfaa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhor, via Glen Massan

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Mhór (Cowal)

Date walked: 18/12/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First-time user of the site. Don't know where it's been all my life! Excellent route directions for the Beinn Mhor (Cowal) walk. The mountain itself is fine but it's the views all around that make it well worthwhile. Perishing cold on the summit, though, with snow flurries and a razor-sharp northerly. Spent all of 10 seconds at the trig point.
jennyfaa

Munros:51   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   

Re: walk report

Postby jennyfaa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I know it's cheating to reply to yourself. But I've just come down from Beinn Mhor again and it was different as chalk and cheese. Deep soft snow all the way up through the forest was a complete pain. Only a couple of people had been up, so no choice but to use their footsteps, which is hard going. Clear on the ridge until near the summit. No need for axe or crampons because the snow was crunchy. Glorious views again.
Attachments
IMG_0463.jpg
jennyfaa

Munros:51   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   

Postby PauloUK77 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Argyll is one area of Scotland i'd love to walk in,there dosn't seem to be that many reports from that area.I like how you replied to yourself lol its when you argue with yourself you should start worrying.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm heading that way this summer (with the missus so I probably won't have anything too exciting to report :wink: ).I've developed quite an interest in the history of places and the hill/through routes I walk and there seems to be plenty of that in Argyll, so looking forward to lots of pre-trip reading.

I think the reason it is relatively un-covered in reports is that parts can be pretty difficult to get to, particularly to an East coast dweller such as myself. It's easier and quicker to go up the A9 or A82 and those routes also have the lure of the Munros.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 pm

There is, in Kelvingrove Art Gallery, a wonderful painting by Gustave Dore entitled “Glen Massan”. (http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/MuseumsGalleries/AddToBasket.htm?Image=148 ) I have had it in mind to do this walk and see if I can find or recognise the scene. I realise that forestation in particular will have changed the landscape since the mid 19th century but still, it adds a little extra interest to what sounds like a lovely walk.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby over2u » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:23 am

oo wish i thought of popping up there yesterday :) bet would of been nice in the snow.. :)
Took me around 7-8 hours taking in practically all the hills on the right of then which can find photo's:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036021&id=1602167455&l=6508591303
over2u
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland