walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro 97 Carn a Chlamain

Munro 97 Carn a Chlamain

Postby IamAJMiller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:31 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Chlamain

Date walked: 12/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 25 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to take my new mountain bike out for a spin and decided to take in a munro at the same time. So strapped it to the back of the car and headed for Blair Atholl. Rode in my approach shoes with my boots in the pack. A steep start which turned into a pleasant cycle along the river Tilt; I didn't get up any great speed as you constantly feel that you're going uphill if only slightly. After 50mins I found a spot where a small path struck up in the direction I was going. I was encouraged by a pair of bikes stashed near the bridge and so I did the same with mine, locking it up and leaving my shoes and helmet in a wee bag nearby too.

The initial path was steep but this soon relented into easy going slopes making good progress up the shoulder of the mountain. To my right Beinn a ghlo looked huge and I could make out a few people going along it's ridges. Hardly surprising on a blue sky day like today. I met a man who'd spent the night up on the hills camping and was laden with kit so was going down slowly. We chatted for about 5 minutes and he was a little saddened to hear I'd biked in....what a snob! Haha!! Soon Carn a Chlamain came into view and I was quickly at the summit, a very easy short climb from Glen Tilt. I sat with a few others on the summit and had my lunch before striding straight down the centre of the shoulder on beautiful springy heather, I was back at my bike in no time!

Now for the fun part: strapped everything on tightly and started cycling back to Blair. 50 mintues to get in.....20 minutes to get out, I blasted back down that track!! Amazing fun even though I upset a few walkers as I passed them at great speed! Apologies fellow walkers! I also passed the same man I'd met on the way up the munro, either he was slow or I was super fast! Even got a bunnyhop almost into the carpark at the very end of the ride!

Such a brilliant day and the best bit was the ride home definitely. Not ethically everyone's cup of tea but cycling into the hills is a new found pleasure of mine.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland