walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav nearly beats me - Video

Ben Starav nearly beats me - Video

Postby gsaboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav

Date walked: 20/01/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1055m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started the day with the ambition to do the full circular walk, taking in the two Munros, and what looked like a very nice series of ridges between them.

The start of the walk, after you cross the the river is obviously usually very boggy. Today it had the added bonus of a very thin veneer of ice, so when you broke through the frozen surface and ended up to your knees in mud, it was all the more shocking.

Now I must say this is one brute of a mountain, as well as climbing it from sea level it seem to be an endless succession of false summits, however the spectacular views back along Glen Etive made it all worth while.

The big killer however was the wind, on exposed parts it was pretty hard to stand up, and looking up at the ridge on the final approach to Ben Starav I had my doubts that it would be walkable.

However the final 200m or so, were in fact pretty sheltered, although hard going scrambling over boulders covered in very soft snow. Near the top I met two other walkers, and we all concluded that the second Munro was beyond reach, it being 2pm already.

All in a invigorating day, with a mixture of boiling on two many layers, to serious windchill on the more exposed parts. I'm looking forward to a return in better weather, and more daylight.

As usual, here's the video...

" />

20130120.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Untitled by 6274design, on Flickr

Allt Mheuran by 6274design, on Flickr

ben starav 2 by 6274design, on Flickr

The final approach to Ben Starav by 6274design, on Flickr

View back towards Loch Etive by 6274design, on Flickr

At the top by 6274design, on Flickr

Summit Cairn by 6274design, on Flickr

ben starav by 6274design, on Flickr

gsaboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:96   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Ben Starav nearly beats me - Video

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Nice video Bruce! I liked the shot of the wind swirling snow around, but it must have been baltic. I am looking forward to doing the mighty Starav on my next trip. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby gsaboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 am

Silverhill wrote:Nice video Bruce! I liked the shot of the wind swirling snow around, but it must have been baltic. I am looking forward to doing the mighty Starav on my next trip. :D

Thanks. It was freeeeeezing in the wind, but not bad at all when you got out of it.
gsaboy
Munro compleatist

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 am

That hill is a beast :shock: I added on Beinn nan Aighenan and Glas Bheinn Mhor on a clammy day and i was 9 and a half hours for the round which had me knackered by the time I got to the car.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Nice video, a lovely mountain in my eyes, I did it many years ago, in much better and warmer conditions than you. It's hard going in the snow amd wind it makes one hell of a difference to your walking times, and also tests your strength and will power to the limit. :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby MountainKaty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Nice video! I had a 13hour epic in august last year taking in the 5 munro's here. It was a beast to get up Ben Starav then in the heat (also the wine the nite before wasnt a good idea for me!!!! :roll: )
Looked very cold but i'm sure it was a great day out! :D :clap:
MountainKaty

Munros:193   

Postby gsaboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 pm

MountainKaty wrote:Nice video! I had a 13hour epic in august last year taking in the 5 munro's here. It was a beast to get up Ben Starav then in the heat (also the wine the nite before wasnt a good idea for me!!!! :roll: )
Looked very cold but i'm sure it was a great day out! :D :clap:

Having managed just one, a summer return sounds like a good idea.
gsaboy
Munro compleatist

Postby MountainKaty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeah it was a stunning day in the hills.......still tough on the knees taking in the 5 munro's.....a lot of big drops to head back up again between the hills! Or it felt like it anyway! :roll:
MountainKaty

Munros:193   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:32 pm

MountainKaty wrote:Yeah it was a stunning day in the hills.......still tough on the knees taking in the 5 munro's.....a lot of big drops to head back up again between the hills! Or it felt like it anyway! :roll:

The three that I did had about 6200ft of ascent between them so you'll have done a fair bit more :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm

great film - glad you caugt the spindrift devil - I I also saw these a few days beofre but did not manage toc atc as nice footage - well done - it is certainly a good amoun of ascent t Starav! :clap: :clap: :clap:
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland