walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunrise on The Cobbler

Sunrise on The Cobbler

Postby adamg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:26 am

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 21/01/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Due to the birth of my daughter in October, I haven't been out any further than the Kilpatrick hills since a trip to the Ring of Steall in August. On Sunday the recent weather proved far too enticing and brought me out of hibernation for a quick winter walk. I managed to set off in the car with the dog before breakfast and arrived at the Succoth carpark just before 7am. We started off up the zig zag track in darkness. As we emerged from the trees and the Cobbler came into view, we were met by a herd of deer near the dam who disappeared across the hillside before I could even get my camera out.

Not long after the Narnain boulders I stopped to put my crampons on. In retrospect I could probably have managed without them for much further but decided to err on the side of caution as I was on my own. I also decided to opt for the easy route up from the Bealach a Mhaim as I didn't fancy my chances if I did slip and had to rely on the dog to find help.

The sun had risen by the time we climbed the stone steps but the summits were shrouded in mist when we reached the top. I had to be home for lunchtime to let my wife use the car so headed straight back down. As the skies began to clear I regretted not being able to spend the day there to take in Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain too.

I'd had the entire route to myself all morning until I approached the Narnain boulders and began to meet the many lucky climbers and walkers heading up for the day. It looked as if they should have got some great conditions. I only hope these conditions continue until the next time I manage to make it back for more!

adamg
Rambler

Re: Sunrise on The Cobbler

Postby hills » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Great walk this, not an easy one for your first outing in a while, thats for sure. Lovely moody piccies.. 8)
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 pm

Welcome back from hibernation adamg! I know how good that feels too! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby adamg » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 am

hills wrote:Great walk this, not an easy one for your first outing in a while, thats for sure. Lovely moody piccies.. 8)

Thanks Hills, the pictures don't do it justice though, great being up there at that time in the morning in that weather. Gutted I didn't get a picture of the deer. Wasn't as hard going as I'd expected though. Luckily the little one has let me get away for a couple of hours here and there to keep my fitness up!

Graeme D wrote:Welcome back from hibernation adamg! I know how good that feels too! 8)

Thanks Graeme, already planning my next trip. Will hopefully manage my first Munro of the new year in the next couple of weeks when the wife's not looking :shh:
adamg
Rambler

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:38 pm

adamg wrote:Thanks Graeme, already planning my next trip. Will hopefully manage my first Munro of the new year in the next couple of weeks when the wife's not looking

You could always try the old Tartan Army line: "Love, I'm just popping out for a pint of milk!". :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland