walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac

Carn Bhac

Postby rob munbett » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first post.
I was staying at Mar Lodge hostel with friends but no-one else fancied this route so off I set on my own from Inverey, walking up the glen, past the Colonel's Bed to the ruin at Auchelie. From here, I walked up the track on to Cairn nan Seileach and the Munro came into view. Following the track over pt 731 I came to the end and was faced with a decision: continue up to Carn Creagach, descend into the glen and up the other side or contour round to the bealach between Carn Creagach and Carn Bhac and ascend to the summit from there. This last option was my decision and I ended up tramping across a deeply peat-hagged slope which nearly brought tears to my eyes. The bealach wasn't much better but soon I was plodding up firmer, stonier slopes to the summit cairn, where the views were stupendous and well worth a leisurely lunch. On the descent, I took a far more direct route across the Allt Carn Bhathaich to the end of the made track which proved to be far less demanding but I'm not at all sure that this would have been the case on ascent. A gentle stroll back to the ruin and a final tea and snack before heading off back down the glen to Inverey.

P1010271.JPG
The ruin in Glen Ey
P1010269.JPG
Walking up the track from the ruin looking up Glen Ey
P1010248.JPG
On Carin nan Seileach looking over to Carn Bhac
P1010266.JPG
After the end of the track looking over to Carn Bhac
P1010252.JPG
Climbing towards the summit
P1010257.JPG
The summit cairn of Carn Bhac
P1010253.JPG
Descending, looking towards Cairn nan Seileach
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Carn Bhac

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:28 pm

you went up the same way as we did and the bog was fearsome! we went down a different way by following the ridge round to Geal Charn and thenalong the ridge northwards and down by allt cristie beag, making a nice circular. I liked Carn Bhac, even though it was not a very nice day!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland