walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor - and more and more.

Creag Mhor - and more and more.

Postby JimboJim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 05/11/2012

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1004m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day loomed for another hike in the hills. Forecast was looking good, though some recent snow falls sowed a few seeds of doubt about how things would be on our chosen target of Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich. Might be better than going through the bogs often refered to, so off we went from the Gilp, at half six in the morning. The incoming light soon revealed quite thick and low looking snow levels here and there, but hopefully it would be better towards the East. Alas, not.
We headed up the single track road, towards Kenknock farm. I think you are 'encouraged' to park before there, but we spoke to the farmer who indicated we could park higher up, at the small hydro dam, on the Innisraineach Burn, near the pipeline. Saves a good hike up the hill, as it is quite a long walk west, about 3 miles along the track to Batavaime and it was at this point we added the 'more' to the Mhor, as we dithered between us, perhaps distracted by the impressive views of Beinn Challum, as to what was the right ridge to head up, working between two maps.
DSCF2129_1280_889.JPG
Beinn Challum from NE.
DSCF2167_1280_960.JPG
Where we should have went up, instead of come down!

Probably helped by my 'instincts,' Big Jesper headed further along to the next burn and off we went heading up the ridge towards the crags on Sail Dhubh. "That's the wrong way," I hear you say. Yes, I know that now. Quickly the snow began to thicken to a depth of one foot and often much more than that, but the grip was good and conditions pleasant. About 700m, or so the route became less apparent, so we went our own ways to explore further, me choosing a steep, narrow incline, Charles heading round the corner to see if there lay a more gradual approach.
DSCF2132_1280_878.JPG
Up Sail Dhubh in foreground to wee peak, Stob nan Clach in distance.
DSCF2138_1196_960.JPG
Heading up Sail Dhubh.

It was hard going up this broad chimney, plunging waist deep in snow at times, but Big Jesper was to find his hopes of an easy route to the top dashed and had to return to my route. Having made it to the top, I was not for going back to tell him it was possible to go my way. After waiting for several hours - well, it seemed like that, Big Jesper finally had retraced his steps and caught me up.
DSCF2149.JPG
Big Jesper trails in my wake - as usual.

Now on the more level ridge, we had another look at the map to check bearings and the gradual truth dawned that the summit we were looking at was not Creag Mhor, but Stob nan Clach. Ooops. Naturally, neither of us wished to claim the credit for our faux-pas, so we agreed to share. That's what friends are for and it gave us a reminder to be more careful next time, when working across two maps.
DSCF2147_1280_920.JPG
Towards summit of Stob nan Clach.

Anyway, off we set for the summit, enjoying the clear conditions, all the more spectacular for the good covering of snow. It was just about four hours to the top of Stob nan Clach and I think we both realised then, we had used so much energy getting there, we might manage Creag Mhor but would have to forget Heasgarnich, especially as the wind was now getting up and sky turning an unfriendly grey colour.
DSCF2131_1280_846.JPG
Frith a' Choirean.
DSCF2145_1280_864.JPG
Beinn H.
DSCF2148_1280_960.JPG
Bheinn Challum from Stob nan Clach.
DSCF2149.JPG
Big Jesper trails in my wake - as usual.

Still, the walk round Frith a'Choirean looked interesting and making one Munro would be better than none, so off we went towards a solitary walker who was making his way of Creag Mhor, round towards us, the difference being his choice of route was intentional. The bad weather closed in for a short while, so we chose to have a wee break and top up fuel reserves, though it was mighty cold after a few minutes with gloves off. No time to dilly-dally, so on we went up the steeper climb to the summit. A few quick photo's, a lingering, longing look towards Beinn Heasgarnich, then off we went, down the hill we should have come up.
DSCF2151_1276_960.JPG
Big Jesper at the top.
DSCF2153.JPG
Summit cairn Creag Mhor.

There was still time for a few good plunges into deep snow before we turned more to the east, dropped down into the valley, before reaching Sron nan Eun, thence followed the burn, back to the track. We finally made it to the car, somewaht fatigued, after a good 13+ miles, taking 7 hours and twenty minutes and knowing we will have to make the return journey some day, to visit "the peak of the roaring waterfall of the horse's," or "Sheltering Hill," depending what book you have in your hand.
Attachments
DSCF2135_1280_851.JPG
Creag Mhor from the foot of Sail Dhubh.
DSCF2136_1191_960.JPG
Sron nan Eun behind.
DSCF2141.JPG
Jaf on Creag M.
DSCF2142_1280_893.JPG
East along Glen Lochay, towards distant Tarmachan Ridge.
DSCF2143_1280_913.JPG
Jaf coming from Sail Dhubh.
DSCF2144.JPG
Some peaks of the Tarmachan Ridge, I think?
DSCF2150_1215_960.JPG
Towards Loch Lyon.
DSCF2156_1280_960.JPG
The cloud comes over BH.
DSCF2159_1274_960.JPG
Nearing summit CM.
DSCF2165_1280_873.JPG
Looking down on Coire Cheathaich.
DSCF2166_1280_864.JPG
Heading down Creag Mhor.
DSCF2171_1236_960.JPG
Sun rise..
DSCF2126_1280_943.JPG
Sunsetting.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by JimboJim on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Creag Mhor - and more and more.

Postby Silverhill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Brilliant report of a brilliant walk :D I like your alternative route, eventhough it was unintentional. What great weather you had. Nice to see what the surroundings look like. I saw a lot of cloud when I did them :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 am

lovely photos ..looks a good day ..plenty of blue sky, snow and smiles :) :D :D :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 am

Stunning looking day! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby JimboJim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Silverhill wrote:Brilliant report of a brilliant walk :D I like your alternative route, eventhough it was unintentional. What great weather you had. Nice to see what the surroundings look like. I saw a lot of cloud when I did them :lol:

Thanks, for kind comments, all. The smiles were maybe more to cover our woopsie?! It was a smashing day for the most part and would be delighted to get another like it when we have to go back to do BH. What route would one recommend, if only out to climb Heasgarnich?

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm

JimboJim wrote:
Silverhill wrote:Brilliant report of a brilliant walk :D I like your alternative route, eventhough it was unintentional. What great weather you had. Nice to see what the surroundings look like. I saw a lot of cloud when I did them :lol:

Thanks, for kind comments, all. The smiles were maybe more to cover our woopsie?! It was a smashing day for the most part and would be delighted to get another like it when we have to go back to do BH. What route would one recommend, if only out to climb Heasgarnich?

Jimmy

Not having a map to hand at this very moment in time, and being to lazy to look on the site, I'd guess you might want to go in from the Loch Lyon dam or from the high point of the "road" between Glens Lyon and Lochay.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alastair S » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Look like a crackin' day.

Also like the route - ideal if you're not bothered about bagging 2 Munros or for the short winter days. Also good to know about the parking place :thumbup:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am

JimboJim wrote:What route would one recommend, if only out to climb Heasgarnich?

If you go for the route from the high point in between Glen Lochay and Glen Lyon, make sure you do it after a long period of frost or drought, otherwise the peat bog might be after you! :lol: See
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19307
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland