walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Remote Control Rescue

Remote Control Rescue

by Tomsie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 26/01/2013

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 16 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Remote Control Rescue

Postby Stuart Angus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Glad you got down safe & well :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Listen, we all do what we do. You guys were well aware of the weather forecast. You both were well kitted out for the day and incase anything should happen. I don't own a Bothy Bag, but I have been in one numerous times and they are a very well recommended piece of kit. You guys have demonstrated that! You did the right thing. You didn't know exactly where you were at that time and decided to sit it out and hope that the weather might change enough for you to get out of there. If it changes so quickly for the worse, why can't it change so quickly for the better....? Wishful bloody thinking!!! It never happens until you leave the summit of the mountain and are too far away to race back to the summit for the view. :roll: Obviously this is a situation like no other.

Am very happy you two made it back safe and sound! We were all waiting in our individual hooses by our mobile phones and laptops waiting for Daves update on facebook. After hearing of the death of a young climber on that same day, and the 4 young ones in Glencoe the previous week we were all hoping for good news.

Dave is a good man and I hope I never have to call the MRT, but what a good bunch of people they are and what a truly superb job they do!

Hope to meet you two sometime soon in fine weather and that the blood and feeling returns to all parts of your bodies soon! :D :lol:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 am

Tomsie wrote:
Sgurr wrote:[quote

This makes it sound as if the change was unexpected. It wasn't, it was forecast.

Thanks for posting, I've already added stuff to my rucksack in response.

Yeah your right it was forecast, we knew it was changing around 13.00, we took too much time

I thought you would have all the gear already. What did you add?

More batteries :D in a plastic bag.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dunrig » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 am

I am glad you got down safely. There is no shame in not having the knowledge or experience needed to get yourselves off the hill in difficult conditions. You did the right thing. It is always hard to acknowledge our own inadequacies...

It is not your gps or bivi bag that matters it is what you know & how you think - to a certain extent I go along with Adam Watson;

"Many with flashing camera, global positioning, map, compass, mobile phone, and survival equipment are unsafe, as rescue accounts often reveal...Those who behave as if alone on an icecap when nobody else knows where they are and no help is possible, have greater inherant safety. They are more likely to understand and appreciate the hill and its weather, snow , wildlife and indegenous folk."
dunrig

Postby sonic » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:30 am

Glad to see you made it down safely guys, this report and recent incidents in glencoe, skye and ben nevis, has confirmed to me to leave winter hillwalking to the more experienced people on the site.

Ps is that crampons or micro spikes in the third photo
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby coachmacca » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Firstly like everyone just really glad to hear to both made it back okay, had been folowing the events with concern..
Secondly great report and well done to all who helped, Ceaser having the mental discipline to keep pushing you both on sounds like it could be the critical thing to success!! :clap:

Lastly - that report was not only some read but is a genuine tale of what can go wrong, what can then become a really dangerous situation but the details of what happened, how MR worked with you, the issues you can face with tech, how you got out etc is like a training talk which a think a lot of new walkers or new to winter would benefit from.. especially those numpties you hear about in jeans and trainers doing Nevis!

Well done lads for a cracking report of a real nail-biter that I hope I and the wife never need to face!

P.s ill be ensuring she reads this as well as a wee reality check about planning, navigation and knowing what to do!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Tomsie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:47 pm

sonic wrote:

Ps is that crampons or micro spikes in the third photo

Spikes, crampons attached to bag, enough grip with spikes
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Tomsie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:53 pm

coachmacca wrote:Firstly like everyone just really glad to hear to both made it back okay, had been folowing the events with concern..
Secondly great report and well done to all who helped, Ceaser having the mental discipline to keep pushing you both on sounds like it could be the critical thing to success!! :clap:

Lastly - that report was not only some read but is a genuine tale of what can go wrong, what can then become a really dangerous situation but the details of what happened, how MR worked with you, the issues you can face with tech, how you got out etc is like a training talk which a think a lot of new walkers or new to winter would benefit from.. especially those numpties you hear about in jeans and trainers doing Nevis!

Well done lads for a cracking report of a real nail-biter that I hope I and the wife never need to face!

P.s ill be ensuring she reads this as well as a wee reality check about planning, navigation and knowing what to do!

Am after getting loads of info from reports off this site, so hopfully maybe someone reads this and takes something from it too.

Try make sure you are well equiped for winter walking :)

Glad you enjoyed the report, dont do many, so had to try do the walk in head again and hopfully got most of what happened in it.

Stay Safe. 8)
Tomsie
Walker

Postby ceaser » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:03 am

Tomsie wrote:
coachmacca wrote:Firstly like everyone just really glad to hear to both made it back okay, had been folowing the events with concern..

Am after getting loads of info from reports off this site, so hopfully maybe someone reads this and takes something from it too.

Try make sure you are well equiped for winter walking :)

Glad you enjoyed the report, dont do many, so had to try do the walk in head again and hopfully got most of what happened in it.

Stay Safe. 8)

glad you did the report john ,im a wee bit older than you and had forgot half of it by the time i woke up the next morning :D

in all honesty folk ....be prepared for winter walking ...bothy bag ,extra clothes ,spare gloves ,food , etc and give yourself time for the walk ,taking into account the snow and the time it puts on your walk !
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:52
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

Postby Tomsie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 am

ceaser wrote:[

glad you did the report john ,im a wee bit older than you and had forgot half of it by the time i woke up the next morning :D
!

Eh dont think I'll be doing them all the time just make sure Qouman are Scottishleaf are there, there better at doing them :lol: :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Postby coachmacca » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am

Bothy bag bought yesterday :-)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:26 pm

I am glad you made it back safely! That an adventure I am sure you wont forget soon!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Tomsie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Mountainlove wrote:I am glad you made it back safely! That an adventure I am sure you wont forget soon!

Thank you, this one and last 5 have being learning experiences :)
Tomsie
Walker

Postby rgreenhow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 am

Well done on getting down. The system is called SARLOC & developed by a former member of OVMRT last year & an excellent system when able to be used. Explained in a blog by myself & other MRT isues. Have a read to understand better what's happening. http://scafellhike.blogspot.co.uk/#!/2013/01/mountain-incidents-police-involvement.html
rgreenhow
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Awrite tomsie, I think it very brave of you to post this report and I'm glad you and Caesar got down safe. What alarms me is the decision to go ahead with this walk and the replies you have had from other forum members. Your decision to proceed with a 6 to 9 hour good weather walk in winter conditions and worsening weather, after little to no sleep is my opinion madness. You mention routes, GPS and phones but there is no mention of a MAP, did you have a map? Can you or Caesar competently use a map and compass?
You mention not being comfortable on a slope, did you monitor the weather on the days before the walk ? Paying attention to the wind direction in regards to we're the windswept snow would lie ? If so you could have decended via the safer side. It seems you have just selected a walk you haven't Ticked and went for it.
As for those who have said you had the gear ect so you were ok, let me say this having the gear and being able to use it are two different things. If you don't posess the skills to navigate safely in winter and don't have and no how to use the various things you need to have in winter then you are just as nieve as those tourist up mcdui. There is a link posted on this site about the dangers of walking in winter, I urge everyone on this site to read it, understand it and act on it.
Modern technology is a useful thing to have with you, but having a map and compass and being able to navigate competently should be the first you or someone in your party should have, but for some battery strength the outcome of this walk could have been worst.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland