walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2mm of snow on the roads...oh no turn back

2mm of snow on the roads...oh no turn back

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Route description: Meall na Fearna, from Loch Earn

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Fearna

Date walked: 19/01/2013

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 830m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2mm of snow...oh no turn back ya mad corbett bagger

Dooterbang picked me up at 730am. Think my cars on the way out with all the driving ive been doing over the years :wink: It started to snow as we reached Callendar. As we turned into the South Lochearnhead road there was a wee landing of snow on the road.

Dooterbang wanted to stop and head somewhere else… but I was keen to continue as the road didn’t look too bad…I was being cursed and called a mad corbett bagger .. :roll:

Parked at Ardvorlich and headed south up the private road and over a stile where the path turns into a track.
corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 005.jpg
Starting point

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 008.jpg
A white horse..Johnny Corbett

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 009.jpg
Ardvorlich House

The plan was to follow the burn up through Glen Vorlich first tackling the corbett Meall na Fearna and depending on the weather head northwest towards Beinn Domhnuill and then west to pick up the track again back to Ardvorlich.
corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 010.jpg
end of the path

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 011.jpg
along the track

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 012.jpg

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 013.jpg

However the weather wasn’t the best and the track was covered in snow that we ending up taking the wrong path. I pulled the GPS out to check our location once we realised we were on the wrong path to where we intended.
corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 014.jpg
Beinn Domhuill

We noticed we were heading for Beinn Domhnuill. Therefore we continued to Beinn Domhnuill and when we reached the top the weather changed. We encountered hailstones, strong winds and extremely poor visibility. We put on our googles.....and then took some shelter and rechecked the GPS for a grid reference. We used this with the map and compass and headed towards Meall na Fearna.

We passed below the summit of the corbett too far south in the poor conditions and had to head back north once we realised our mistake.

Once at the summit we took a quick summit pic.
corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 015.jpg
DB at the summit of Meall na Fearna

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 016.jpg
copying the DB pose

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 017.jpg
summit pic

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 018.jpg
icicles

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 018.jpg
icicles

Took a bearing and headed west and down towards the track which had an initially steep incline towards the bealach between Ben Vorlich and Meall na Fearna. We continued and on the track back to Glen Vorlich and reached the car in 5 hours 30 minutes.
corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 022.jpg
DB not used to walking.. getting a bit tired

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 023.jpg
a wee 40 winks

corbett meall na Fearna 19thjan2013 025.jpg

I found this corbett quite a difficult one in poor weather conditions. Not bad going time wise in bad conditions and after struggling to find the summit.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: 2mm of snow on the roads...oh no turn back

Postby hills » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Goodness that must have been tough in the soft snow, not great ground I seem to mind, think I might do this hill from Glen Artney, but well done for getting it done... :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 pm

I remember you bricking it when driving along this 2mm of snow :wink:

You also forgot to mention me sliding down the southern face and banging my shin up then 15 minutes later to find myself thigh deep in water...and finally slipping on ice and falling on my backside!!

Good day out though and tough in those conditions.

Tricky wee top to find but the mad corbett bagger got it :D

Oh and i think you'll find that this is the real DB pose....
Attachments
P1070760.JPG
DB Pose - Meall na Fearna
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:43 am

Nice one Theresa :clap:

Always better to let someone else do the driving especially if there's a chance of a wee bump to the car :wink:

Can't believe you haven't found your signature pose, its not like you've been short of summits to practice on :lol: :lol:

Enjoy Dublin X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 am

Great report MT, really enjoyable though to be fair to DB I don't think your 'DB Pose' was anything like the photo above it.......but man did it make me laugh :clap: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 am

Good effort :clap: Another Corbett bagged, great stuff. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm

I didn't know you could drive MT :crazy: Good to see you are out on the hills again. I did this in snow as well and found it quite easy, 4hrs i think it took me :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 pm

hills wrote:Goodness that must have been tough in the soft snow, not great ground I seem to mind, think I might do this hill from Glen Artney, but well done for getting it done... :D

Cheers hills. It was tough but meant to be very boggy in the summer... so might be better in the snow :)

dooterbang wrote:I remember you bricking it when driving along this 2mm of snow :wink:

You also forgot to mention me sliding down the southern face and banging my shin up then 15 minutes later to find myself thigh deep in water...and finally slipping on ice and falling on my backside!!

Tricky wee top to find but the mad corbett bagger got it :D

Oh and i think you'll find that this is the real DB pose....

It was your driving that made me brick it :wink:

The best bit was you stepping into thigh deep water but the even better bit was when you said im glad it was deeper and i said im glad it wasnay me :)
Was a tricky one :?

pollyh33 wrote:Nice one Theresa :clap:

Always better to let someone else do the driving especially if there's a chance of a wee bump to the car :wink:

Can't believe you haven't found your signature pose, its not like you've been short of summits to practice on :lol: :lol:

Enjoy Dublin X

Cheers Polly..... thats true i dont have a signature pose :(

ChrisW wrote:Great report MT, really enjoyable though to be fair to DB I don't think your 'DB Pose' was anything like the photo above it.......but man did it make me laugh :clap: :lol:

Cheers Chris.... i thought i could be DBs stunt double with that pose :)

The Rodmiester wrote:Good effort :clap: Another Corbett bagged, great stuff. :)

Cheers Rodmiester and i swore i wouldnt start corbett bagging :?

Johnny Corbett wrote:I didn't know you could drive MT :crazy: Good to see you are out on the hills again. I did this in snow as well and found it quite easy, 4hrs i think it took me :D

Woman of many talents JC...Youve got plenty of practice in the hills part time worker...some of us work more that 40hours a week saving the world..... Did you like the horse picture :?
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby morag1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I always like to have a wee peak to see where you've been, well done on bagging another corbett :clap:

That looks like a nice area, really nice photos :D

I, too think you need a signature pose, something a bit more glamorous than the boys ones though :wink:
morag1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:I didn't know you could drive MT :crazy: Good to see you are out on the hills again. I did this in snow as well and found it quite easy, 4hrs i think it took me :D

Woman of many talents JC...Youve got plenty of practice in the hills part time worker...some of us work more that 40hours a week saving the world..... Did you like the horse picture :?[/quote] Yes, i'd like to thank Dooterbang for telling you it was a hores :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

pity about the lack of views but good to see dooters back out in his ninja outfit...looks like you'll need to help him to stay on his feet though - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm

morag1 wrote:I always like to have a wee peak to see where you've been, well done on bagging another corbett :clap:

That looks like a nice area, really nice photos :D

I, too think you need a signature pose, something a bit more glamorous than the boys ones though :wink:

cheers morag.... im still practising my signature pose :D

rockhopper wrote:pity about the lack of views but good to see dooters back out in his ninja outfit...looks like you'll need to help him to stay on his feet though - cheers :)

Cheers RH..he is getting on a wee bit :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby mgmt! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Well done on finding the top mountain thyme, it's good to no you did listen to some of the stuff I warbled on about. I hove your house never got burgled while you were away, seeing someone told the world you were off, and as for signature pose? Your either knackered or holding your hand up with the number of summits done that day, which will be mostly 1, seeing as your getting on a bit
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mgmt! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:40 pm

mgmt! wrote:Well done on finding the top mountain thyme, it's good to no you did listen to some of the stuff I warbled on about. I hope your house never got burgled while you were away, seeing someone told the world you were off, and as for signature pose? Your either knackered or holding your hand up with the number of summits done that day, which will be mostly 1, seeing as your getting on a bit
mgmt!
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland