walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Covenanter's Grave from Lang Whang

Covenanter's Grave from Lang Whang

Postby Tinto63 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Date walked: 26/01/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This route follows an old right of way that is marked by posts, which is just as well as I inadvertently left my carefully prepared map at home. It makes for a good short walk particularly on a clement winter's day with a covering of snow; in wet weather it can be very boggy and hard going. Unlike the east end of the Pentlands which is always very busy on winter weekends the west end, with its rolling hills and heather moorland, gets neglected and I didn't see another walker all day.

DSC_0186 (800x532).jpg
The start of the walk

DSC_0188 (532x800).jpg
An easy route - just follow the poles

DSC_0191 (800x532).jpg
these black faces were looking for food

DSC_0201 (800x532).jpg
a junction in the middle of the moor

DSC_0203 (800x532).jpg
a grouse exploded out of this snow hole

DSC_0205 (800x532).jpg
looking back from between Darlees Rig and White Craig towards Henshaw Hill

DSC_0206 (800x532).jpg
geese over Darlees Rig

DSC_0211 (800x509).jpg
The Covenanter's Grave on Black Law

DSC_0217 (800x532).jpg
Craigengar from Black Law - the Pentlands at their best!

DSC_0221 (800x532).jpg
The way back - retracing my steps
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Covenanter's Grave from Lang Whang

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 pm

A nice wee walk! On a day like that winter is just lovely... :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 am

What a cracking wee report! :clap:

Dare I ask what a lang whang is?

What's the story behind the gravestone? Was this the site of a battle or execution?

Love the photo of the sheep :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Tinto63 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

The Lang Whang is the local name for the stretch of the A70 between Balerno and Carnwath, that can be a lonely moorland road. I'm not sure of the derivation, but lang is Scots for long and, according to Cassell's Dictionary of Slang, whang is a bootlace, while Chambers Dictionary has whang as a thong, a thick slice, or even (vulgarly) a penis. So you get the idea, something long and thin! Perhaps a WH member can give a more authoritative
definition.

Moving swiftly on, the Covenanter's grave contains the remains of a person fatally injured in the battle of Rullion Green in 1666 and buried in secret. The headstone was erected in the 19th century. Rullion Green is further east in the Pentlands to the south east of Turnhouse Hill by the A702.

The grave is well worth visit and is usually walked from West Linton Golf Club. It can be quite hard to locate in clag, but lies on the line of two posts marking the old right of way, the problem being that from either post the other one is not visible. It is about 100m to the west of the flat top of Black Law.

P1010329.JPG
the inscription is clearer on this picture
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby morag1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I really enjoyed your report, the Pentlands are my local hills and I always like to see them on this site.

I dont know what a "lang whang" is but my dad, who played golf, used to speak about the Lang Whang hole on the Turnberry golf course. I think it meant you just had to hit the ball a very long way.

I was surprised to see the Covenanter's grave because thousands of Covenanters were murdered in the Pentlands and I would have thought there would have been mass graves all over the place, not just for one person. Over the years there were several horrible battles fought there, and to this day there is a field near Penicuik called the Shin Banes field, because the local farmer keeps on turning up human bones with his plough. There is also a burn called the Kill Burn, which at one time ran red with human blood. Oh dear.

The whole history of the Pentlands is horrible and I dont really want to know any more about it or think about these things when Im out there, I just like to think of them as they are today, a wild and windswept place where people come to escape the city for a few hours.
morag1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland