walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First hill of 2013.. Creagan na Beinne

First hill of 2013.. Creagan na Beinne

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Route description: Creagan na Beinne, Ardtalnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Creagan na Beinne

Date walked: 13/01/2013

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 893m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first walk of 2013 and my first hill in just over 4 weeks.

With a combination of too much Vino over the previous 4 weeks, too many nights out and partying over the festivities, the extra pounds gained over the holidays, the winter conditions and im blaming the heavy winter boots on my feet…. Boy did I struggle! :(

Walked with the Glasgow Hillwalking Club and todays corbett was Creagan na Beinne from Ardtalnaig.
corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 001.jpg
Starting point

corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 002.jpg

There is room for 2 cars just off the main road or room for approx 5 cars just opposite Rowan cottage before the track heads for the corbett.
corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 003.jpg
along the track

corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 006.jpg
A sheep... Johnny

We followed the track from Ardtalnaig up towards Tullichglass, up through Gleann a ‘ Chilleine. The track takes you straight to the Dunan Bothy, which was locked.
corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 009.jpg
Dunan Bothy

We left the track just before the Bothy and headed north east up towards Dunan Hill. This was a steady wee climb. We had a few stops on route towards Dunan Hill and towards the summit.
corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 012.jpg
Dunan Hill

corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 011.jpg
Heading up Dunan

We had an 11 year old boy in the group who managed extremely well in the snow but required a wee bit of encouragement to keep him going. Each time we stopped to wait for that wee group I had to lie down and rest in the snow. My hips and feet were killing me. :roll: One of the girls in the group insisted on telling people I had completed the munros and when the looked round to see me… I was lying in the snow gubbed to say the least… god knows what they thought! :o

From Dunan Hill we continued north towards the summit of Creagan na Beinne. Cloud level was about 700m and navigation was tricky to find the summit.
corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 014.jpg
Elaine and Co at the summit

corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 016.jpg
summit pic

No views at the summit today ( the norm for me ) and it was -14 in the wind chill factor. Quick summit pic and headed north and then west to pick up the faint path in the snow above Coire Cruinneachan and the track back to Ardtalnaig
corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 020.jpg
loch tay

corbett creagan na beinne13th jan 2013 021.jpg
loch tay

Back to the car in 6 hours and 20 mins…. And headed to the Falls of Dochart Inn for a refreshment and heat at the wee log fire .. Bliss
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: First hill of 2013.. Creagan na Beinne

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 am

Lovely report MT, had me laughing at the laying down only to have everyone informed that you had completed the Munros :lol: You should have raised a weary head and said out loud "I have nothing to prove" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find if I miss the hills for two weeks I suffer the next time out :roll: but it feels so good the next day :wink: The 'Heading up Dunan' shot really captures the cold in the form of the folks shivering their way up the hill :shock:

Great report, really enjoyable :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 am

Aye, first hill in four weeks, that will teach you MT :) , tough going in the snow at any time, and it looks very cold according to your pictures. Next one will be easier :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

Brutally honest and funny account of your day on the hills :clap: :lol:

Loved it MT :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Nice hill this one. I see Dunan Bothy doesn't look any more hospitable these days than it did when I last passed by! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Nice one MT. So the Munro completest is finding the little Corbetts tough, awe :crazy: , i told you. "Lying about gubbed" It's normally me lying about waiting on you to catch up :lol: What breed is that sheep :? I did this one on new years day in 2011 and it is a tough wee one in the snow though :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely report MT, had me laughing at the laying down only to have everyone informed that you had completed the Munros :lol: You should have raised a weary head and said out loud "I have nothing to prove" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find if I miss the hills for two weeks I suffer the next time out :roll: but it feels so good the next day :wink: The 'Heading up Dunan' shot really captures the cold in the form of the folks shivering their way up the hill :shock:

Great report, really enjoyable :clap:

Cheers Chris

The Rodmiester wrote:Aye, first hill in four weeks, that will teach you MT :) , tough going in the snow at any time, and it looks very cold according to your pictures. Next one will be easier :lol:

Im going to struggle again next time ....as i climbed wee hill in Wicklow at the weekend :(

pollyh33 wrote:Brutally honest and funny account of your day on the hills :clap: :lol:
Cheers Polly

Graeme D wrote:Nice hill this one. I see Dunan Bothy doesn't look any more hospitable these days than it did when I last passed by! :shock:

I dont know what the story is with the Bothy! If its private? or just closed ?

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one MT. So the Munro completest is finding the little Corbetts tough, awe :crazy: , i told you. "Lying about gubbed" It's normally me lying about waiting on you to catch up :lol: What breed is that sheep :? I did this one on new years day in 2011 and it is a tough wee one in the snow though :wink:

It was a legless one.... it never budged :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 pm

mountain thyme wrote:With a combination of too much Vino over the previous 4 weeks, too many nights out and partying over the festivities, the extra pounds gained over the holidays, the winter conditions and im blaming the heavy winter boots on my feet…. Boy did I struggle! :( ............... Each time we stopped to wait for that wee group I had to lie down and rest in the snow. My hips and feet were killing me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: you have my sympathies - know what you mean - looked tough going but well done.....maybe you can bring dooters orJC in future to carry you part of the way :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland