walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Success on my last Angus Marilyn, Mile Hill

Success on my last Angus Marilyn, Mile Hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mile Hill

Date walked: 30/01/2013

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 5.82 km

Ascent: 258m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the last abortive effort from the South, 'hills' had given me a suggested starting point on the North East of Mile Hill, the entrance to the listed Balintore Castle which I believe is being restored. Johnny Corbett and I started here and crossed the road past the old Balintore Smithy building, climbing the gate on the left and continued to another timber gate and headed over a snow laden field filled with sheep, luckily the farmer had been earlier and been on a 4x4 and left tracks to follow, which made walking easier. We continued over the field and crossed into another water logged field and decided to keep to the side of the tree plantation on our right until we came to a track heading for the now disused and crumbling Gairlaw. From now on all fences had electric wiring both sides which made crossings difficult and the order of the day was to head for any gates. Bit of a joke really as this area has had planning approval for nine wind turbines 60m high.
1a.JPG
Start at the Balintore Castle entrance gates grid ref 296586
2a.JPG
Cross over the road and pass through the wooden gates on the right of the Balintore Smithy building and outbuilding
3a.JPG
Crossing a snow covered field filled with sheep and heading South.
4a.JPG
Looking back at the starting point
5a.JPG
JC heading off towards another access gate, Mile Hill on the left
6a.JPG
Track to the now crumbling Gairlaw with Mile Hill on the right
7a.JPG
As we cannot find any gates to cross we continue along the track to Gairlaw, then cross the burn on our right, and head on up crossing another waterlogged field to another gate before climbing up the steep North face of Mile Hill to the summit
8a.JPG
Just a wee pile of stones at the summit, as the wind is now howling we don't hang about and head off down again
9a.JPG
Heading on down off the summit
10a.JPG
Making good time in the snow
11a.JPG
We return by the tree plantation on the West of the field we walked down through at the start
12a.JPG
Balintore Castle from the road

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
13a.JPG
Zoom of Balintore Castle
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Success on my last Angus Marilyn

Postby Stuart Angus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 pm

More sunshine for JC!!!
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Stuart Angus wrote:More sunshine for JC!!!

JC can come again anytime, 'Mr Blueskies' :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Perfect day for a nice wee walk! This is how I like winter!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 pm

Time to move on to pastures new!!! From all your reports you seem to have enjoyed doing the Angus "wee" hills!

This was a close up of Balintore House a few years ago, at the time I couldn't see anyone taking it on as it was in one hell of a mess.

Balintore House  10.jpg
Balintore House

Just trying to decide whether to head in to Glen Isla tomorrow, your conditions seemed OK.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Time to move on to pastures new!!! From all your reports you seem to have enjoyed doing the Angus "wee" hills!

This was a close up of Balintore House a few years ago, at the time I couldn't see anyone taking it on as it was in one hell of a mess.

Balintore House 10.jpg

Just trying to decide whether to head in to Glen Isla tomorrow, your conditions seemed OK.

Good photograph of Balintore Castle :) , don't fancy waking up to see a bloody Windfarm out the bedrom window :( , what are Angus Council thinking of! Very wet snow, the amount of water run off was something else. Boots will take some drying out. Dinnae bother with the Hill of Wirren, you won't be seen again, the peat hags will swallow you up :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Badandun Hill is in my head and it won't let go till I go and do it!!!!!!! :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Badandun Hill is in my head and it won't let go till I go and do it!!!!!!! :lol:

Good luck with Babandun tomorrow Gordie, that one should be fine, what with a fine track most of the way. Mind you you will probably find a river rather than track :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Badandun Hill is in my head and it won't let go till I go and do it!!!!!!! :lol:

Good luck with Babandun tomorrow Gordie, that one should be fine, what with a fine track most of the way. Mind you you will probably find a river rather than track :lol:

How did I know you were to find the river, spooky that :o
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland