walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect day on Ben Vorlich

Perfect day on Ben Vorlich

Postby andy5a » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 945m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Earlier in the week the forecast was looking grim for the weekend, but from Thursday it was very promising for Saturday. So Ben Vorlich was decided upon for a good day out, and what a perfect day it was.

The Inveruglas car park was getting busy when I arrived at twenty past nine. Quickly booted and kitted and it was time for the off, but not before a long linger over Loch Lomond which was quite stunning with the sun just above the Ben.
Ben Lomond in sun.jpg
Loch Lomond in the morning sun

Ben Vane.jpg
Ben Vane from service road

A quick stroll along the service road to the collapsed little cairn marking the start of the Walkhighlands route and I was on and up the hill. This first stretch was the most problematic of the day with the runoff frozen solid on and around the path making for a very slippy initial ascent. Thoughts were it would be worse coming down and better off avoiding on the return. I eventually lost the path as I got towards the snow line. After gingerly edging across a couple of snow patches I decided to put the crampons on as I hit the snow proper.

Here I met a chap from Bolton, he was staying at Glencoe, coming down for the day to Ben Vorlich, before back to Glencoe for the evening and then home to Bolton in the morning. He does this once a month and has a real love of the hills. We walked together for a short while before I needed a photo stop (breather!) and he went about his way, breaking the path for me. The weather was perfect, very clear and no wind. I could see the chimney at Inverkip Power Station 25 miles away and all the views were quite stunning. From now until the top took a while due to frequent stops to gaze, soak up the views and take photos.
Beinn Ime and Ben Vane.jpg
Beinn Ime and Ben Vane

At one point the silence was broken as a rescue helicopter flew past, it then circled and flew right above me, a few minutes later I saw it down towards the southern end of Loch Lomond.

Making my way along the false peaks was invigorating, stomping in the deep, crunchy snow following the tracks broken by others. Then the trig point appears and you are nearly there. I could see a little gathering at the summit a few hundred metres along, with a smile and that quiet satisfaction I stomped across to the top. I passed Bolton man, he said he would have only gone to trig point if he hadn't seen the group at the summit cairn and pleased he had done the true top.
Tracks in snow.jpg
Tracks in the snow

There were a couple in the midst of lunch and 4 guys just setting off back down again. I stopped for lunch, but a bit of very cold clag unfortunately arrived which foreshortened my stay at the top. I then met Steve, took a photo for him on the cairn, but he was for heading down for lunch out of the clag.
Ben Vorlich Cain.jpg
Ben Vorlich Cairn

Trig from top.jpg
Trig point looking from the top

The descent was as good, the clag disappeared, the views were stunning and I took a path down nearer to the dam avoiding that slippy ascent route. I ended on a short track coming up from the main service road near the dam. This would make a good alternative path up.
Looking over the Little Hills.jpg
Looking over the Little Hills
Ben and Loch Lomomd.jpg
Ben and Loch Lomond

Steve came off the hill at the same time at the original slippy path, we then strolled the 20 minutes back to the car park putting the world to rights. I put a finish to the day with a light refreshment at my 19th Monro, The Drovers at Inverarnan. Perfect.
Loch Lomomd.jpg
Loch Lomond and beyond
Attachments

ben-vorlich-lomond (2).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andy5a
Mountaineer

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: Perfect day on Ben Vorlich

Postby skuk007 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Looks like you had a great day out Andy, love the photos, especially the last one :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Bod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Very nice report Andy, and useful comments. We are hoping to head up this one on Saturday coming :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby andy5a » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for the comments, my first post and good encouragement, got a few others I need to do. 8)
andy5a
Mountaineer

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

What a splendid day for this walk! Well done doing this one in the snow, it's a steep one. The pictures are stunning 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Great wee report and some cracking pics! Saturday was a great day to be on the hills! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 am

Nice report from just about my favourite hill, though I did a very different route from yourself. The view back down Loch Lomond from the top of Vorlich is second to none. Totally iconic.

Bod wrote:Very nice report Andy, and useful comments. We are hoping to head up this one on Saturday coming :D :D :D

Bod, if you've got the time, it's worth taking in the less visited north top of Ben Vorlich. The views over to the Ben Lui group as fantastic and you can see to Ben More on Mull on a really good day.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland