walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumgoyne,Earl's Seat,Stronend,Carleatheran, then Stirling.

Dumgoyne,Earl's Seat,Stronend,Carleatheran, then Stirling.

Postby dunrig » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Carleatheran, Earl's Seat, Stronend

Date walked: 06/02/2013

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee window of opportunity, a day and a half free, frosty ground, perfect conditions for tramping across boggy basalt escarpment.
Off the bus at Glengoyne distillary, straight up Dumgoyne, along to Earl's Seat, all way down to bridge at Gonachan, up through craigs & along edge to Stronend, had intended camping here but it was a bit breezy so cut down to Shelloch burn & camped. Up early & on to Carleatheran, down by Touch hills/muir, reservoir, Cambusbarron then Stirling.
Not sure anyone would want to follow in my footsteps but a strong walker could maybe do this in a day - preferably a summer day after a long dry spell. Not quite the Trotternish ridge but at least an answer from the Central belt.
P1040529.JPG
onwards from dumgoyne
P1040533.JPG
dumgoyne
P1040537.JPG
out to loch lomond
P1040546.JPG
earl's seat & way forward
P1040550.JPG
balglass
P1040569.JPG
fintry hills
P1040585.JPG
crumbling escarpment
P1040591.JPG
P1040597.JPG
???!!!!
P1040601.JPG
stronend
P1040606.JPG
P1040614.JPG
central belt wild camp - near enough
P1040615.JPG
sunset
P1040643.JPG
sunrise
P1040637.JPG
P1040647.JPG
back beyond ballochlean & its poor spout
P1040658.JPG
view from carleatheran
P1040693.JPG
reservoir touch hills
P1040700.JPG
P1040703.JPG
ochils

This is part of a bigger project, though thats maybe too strong a word, have realised that joining up some of my aimless southern wanders made a route - up one coast, down the other, joined by high ground (moffat - glen trool galloway hills- girvan coastal path - wemyss bay cut - greenock - dumbarton-kilpatricks,campsies,fintry hills - stirling ochils then ? to st andrews coastal path then ? to pentlands - peebles southern uplands - moffat)
struggling with last (?) sections, picking up 'the goretex national trail' by c. mcneish gave me an idea -if there is anyone among my select few readers with distillery connections I would welcome a bottle of sponsorship malt to get me through those last miles --No-- ah well just have to buy it myself.

An aimless route, I would like to do it as a continuous walk one day but need the time & would also need to tear my heart out of the highlands & islands...
Last edited by dunrig on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunrig

Re: Dumgoyne,Earl's Seat,Stronend,Carleatheran, then Stirlin

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Nice wee wild camping spot you found there, cracking sunrise! worth the walk in itself. Nice photographs :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby hills » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Wow, thats quite a walk, would love to see the distance and ascent stats on that, a lot I bet... :D Never thought on doing it in a wunner...
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 pm

that looks like a great wee getaway you had there, some great pics but what was the one with the birds talon all about ???
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 am

Enjoyed that, thanks. Nice photos.
foggieclimber

Postby Allan77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Walk report of the month! IMHO. :clap:

I do find walks like this more interesting than the big peaks. Maybe cause all my walking when growing up was in the small hills around Loch Lomond. Stoney Mullen, Boturich etc. Diffrent strokes for different folks I guess. :)

I hope to do some walks like this in the summer, when I won't be studying & working :crazy:
Allan77
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby dunrig » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 am

thanks for comments
tomyboy73 wrote:that looks like a great wee getaway you had there, some great pics but what was the one with the birds talon all about ???

was a bit strange - coming down from Stronend I veered off the beaten track to get away from wind, came across a wee fenced square inside it was what looked like a frozen clump of large bird maybe birds could see brown feathers & talons but couldn't identify them & I didn't want to disturb them - you are always suspicious on ground managed for grouse but there is probably an innocent explanation, who knows?
just out of interest the only live bird of prey I saw on walk was a buzzard down by reservoir at Touch Muir
Last edited by dunrig on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunrig

Postby Norman_Grieve » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Bl*ody guid effort pal, done your dumbarton-kilpatricks on Friday & campsies, fintry hills - stirling o'er last 3 months.

Reckon Malky should do you an EMap, loike wot ee done for moi a year or twa ago, reckon your ascent - distance would be interesting, as would the total depth o' the bogs ye musta crossed [hoo thick was that ice crust anyways?!]... :shock:
Norman_Grieve

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland