walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Toll Creagach and Tom a' Choinich, Glen Affric

Toll Creagach and Tom a' Choinich, Glen Affric

Postby maddjock » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Route description: Tom a' Chòinich & Toll Creagach, Glen Affric

Munros included on this walk: Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 20/08/2008

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

5th July 2008

Toll Creagach is pretty featureless but Tom a' Choinich was a very good walk with amazing views. If I were recommending a route, I would probably stick to the path following the Allt Toll Easa. Crossing this stream was not a problem in July. The path climbs up quite steeply at first then forks - straight on through the bealach (easier) or the more adventurous left path which leads directly up the south eastern ridge of Tom a' Choinich - this involves a bit of scrambling but is manageable. Descend following the path through the bealach between the two hills and the stream.

On the summit of Tom a'Choinich with Toll Creagach behind

View from Tom a'Choinich towards Carn Eige range with Beinn Fhionnlaidh on the right and Skye in the far background

The summit of Toll Creagach
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Re: Toll Creagach and Tom a' Choinich, Glen Affric

Postby bigbertie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Maddjock, I also prefer your circuit (clockwise) although I note that the walkhighlands route is anti-clockwise. The SE ridge of Tom a Choinich is definitely worth doing - although it looks a bit steep and rough on approach it is really only a walk if you choose your way carefully. (it is not listed in the Highland Scrambles North guide). However everyone should make their own judgement - my memory has faded with time! When I last did Tom a Choinich we continued West a bit for some reason (is there a subsidiary top?) and then dropped down to the valley by a steep gully in which I found a Leki pole (with no walker attached). Strange.
bigbertie

Postby maddjock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:19 am

The first time I did this, I continued west also. It is possible to continue along this ridge to Carn Eige itself with not too much drop in height. In fact a round of Toll Creagach, Tom a 'Choinich, Carn Eige, Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Mam Sodhail can be done this way. It would make for a very long day though, think 12-15 hours. Or alternatively a 2 dayer with a high altitude wild camp. Plenty of places for this on this route, with a great spot just off the summit of Mam Sodhail next to the old ordnance survey shelter.
I found a walking pole myself on an outing back in June. Do find it strange that someone would forget it.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby bigbertie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:55 pm

maddjock - was it a Leki? maybe we have a pair???
bigbertie

Postby maddjock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:11 pm

nah, it was a Black Diamond. second Black Diamond item I have found on the hills over the years. First was a head torch about 3 years ago. I never saw the need for a walking pole until I found this one, now I think it is a must, makes ascending and descending steep slopes so much easier and a lot kinder to the knees.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland