walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg Winter Overnighter - Character Built!

Beinn Dearg Winter Overnighter - Character Built!

Postby UncleSimes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl)

Date walked: 10/02/2013

Time taken: 25 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 11028m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 9th February

Drive to Brussels airport, fly to Edinburgh, pick up hire car, head up to Old Bridge of Tilt via McDonalds in Dunfermline :shock: and Tiso's in Perth :D

I've done a fair few days in the hills over the years, slept in a snow hole once and bivvied a couple of times, but never stayed in a bothy before, so with a free weekend in February looming I had scoured these pages for ideas and decided upon Beinn Dearg and the Allt Scheicheachan bothy. The weather forecast had deteriorated steadily over the week and I was expecting low cloud and snow showers, but when you live so far from the hills it's not as easy to postpone a trip so with a new Mountain Equipment 4-season sleeping bag and 12.5kg of peat briquettes to keep me warm I hoisted a very heavy pack onto my back and set off.

3pm Depart Old Bridge of Tilt
Thanks to all the trip reports and photos on this site I was aware of the navigation risks and followed the correct route through the forest and up onto the open hillside, passing a few dog walkers - the last people I was to see for over 24 hours. After 45 minutes or so I reached the Lady March Cairn, by now my shoulders were starting to ache and I had the feeling this walk in was going to take longer than planned.
Lady March Cairn.jpg
Lady March Cairn

With only a herd of deer on the other side of the glen for company, I continued along the path, steadily gaining some height and crossing the Allt an t-Seaphail.
Allt an t-Seaphail Downstream view.jpg
Allt an t-Seaphail Downstream back towards Old Bridge of Tilt

I recognised this view up the path from other reports on this site! :)
Allt an t-Seaphail upstream view.jpg
Allt an t-Seaphail upstream view

I trudged on up the path, which by now was covered in deepening snow with a thin crust on it, really energy-sapping. The next section seemed to go on for ever, each step harder than the last as the snow deepened and the pack seemed to grow heavier. I just kept my head down, maintained a steady rhythm and slowly made progress up to the bealach at the head of the pass. I reached the bothy just before 6pm after almost three hours of walking, exhausted but elated at making it with such a load through the snow. Don't think I've been much happier to see a tiny cottage before!
Allt Scheicheachan Bothy.jpg
Bothy - taken the next day

I was glad of my stack of peat briquettes, they started pretty easily, gave out good heat and a very aromatic herbal smokey smell! :wtf: After some grub it was time to get some sleep, I left a candle burning in the window in case anyone else was foolish enough to be out on the hills but no one showed up. A quiet night.

Sunday 10th February
The next morning the wind was getting up, the cloud base was low and fresh snow had fallen, so I had some breakfast and packed up my gear before setting off up the glen at 8am. The snow was deep and it took a lot of energy making my way up the path beside the Allt Scheicheachan.
Looking up Allt Scheicheachan.jpg
Looking up the Allt Scheicheachan

I saw several mountain hares, inquisitively taking a look at me and then scarpering off up the hill - amazingly quick! Icicles clung to the banks of the gully to the side of the stream, I saw some great shapes in the wind-sculpted snow laying over the burn - this one looked like a mermaid's ball-gown to me. :crazy:
Mermaid's Gown.jpg
Mermaid's Gown?

The path started to lead up away from the stream, the beginning of the zig-zag stalker's path.
Path leaves the stream.jpg
Path leaves the stream

After a couple of zags it was impossible to see where the path was, the snow was so deep all over the hill, so I decided to follow the principle of 'the most direct route is the quickest for the fit Munroist' and headed straight up into the mist. All good apart from the 'fit' part! :D

Once up onto the shoulder of the hill I was into a wind-driven whiteout, the sky merging with the deep covering of snow. Not having any GPS I worked with my compass, taking bearings every 50m or so, navigating from partly-covered rock to sprig of heather poking out of the snow. I was really satisfied to make it to the cairn on the way to the summit - recognised it from earlier reports! - and pushed onwards and upwards to the summit cairn and trig point, barely visible through a thick carapace of ice. The wind was very strong at this stage, so only a couple of dodgy photos as I was crouched inside the cairn.
Beinn Dearg Summit Cairn.jpg
Beinn Dearg Summit Trig Point covered in ice
Poles at summit.jpg
My Eddie Bower poles at the top - proof enough?!

After a quick bar of Fruit & Nut I headed straight down, reversing my compass reading as I cut into the teeth of a vicious south-easterly. My tracks were virtually invisible, only a few minutes after I'd made them on the way up, and it was a great to slip below the clag and see the route back to the bothy below me. I headed straight down for the bothy, which was fine through the deep snow until I came to the bank of the gully holding the Allt Scheicheachan, where I slipped through a cornice which had invisibly blended into the snow bank below and had a painful twist of my knee. I picked myself up and limped back down to the bothy, a welcome refuge for some lunch.
Bothy - welcome sight.jpg
Bothy - a welcome sight on the descent

Then it was just a long and pretty painful walk back out to the car park, at least my pack was lighter since I left all of the remaining peat in the bothy, as well as half a canister of Primus gas - I would have left my extra food but that would have encouraged the mice!

It took me about 2.5 hours to make it back to the car, tired, with a very sore knee but glowing inwardly at having survived the trip and enjoyed one of the best experiences I've had on a solo walk. Some have said that Beinn Dearg is a boring hill, I would say that it depends on the weather the mountain decides to give you, in my case it was definitely character-building. :D
UncleSimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:225   
Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn Dearg Winter Overnighter - Character Built!

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Hiya UncleSimes,

Think we were the couple you chatted to at the Glen Tilt car park just as you were heading of with the heavu pack ...sounds like you had a great bothy stay! Glad to hear it, hopefully you make it back to scotland again soon. Nice wee report there :D

Shelley
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby UncleSimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks Shelley, it was a great trip, highly recommend Allt Scheicheachan for anyone's first bothy experience! :D
UncleSimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:225   
Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi there Uncle Simes, that was a trip and a half, great stuff :clap: Glad you enjoyed your Scottish outdoor experience, the weather could have been kinder to you, but as you say Character Building as it was, and no doubt an unforgettable experience as well. Welcome back to the Scottish hills anytime :D Great report, look forward to the next one.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Bod » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Quite an effort there, great stuff and well done:)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 pm

UncleSimes wrote:Drive to Brussels airport, fly to Edinburgh, pick up hire car, head up to Old Bridge of Tilt via McDonalds in Dunfermline and Tiso's in Perth

A veritable tour of some of the (non mountainous at least) hotspots of Scotland! :lol:

Nice report and sounds like a fine night in the bothy. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Silverhill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd say the character was already built before this trip! Flying in from abroad for two days of walking in the cold and cloud! :clap: Well done! Hope your knee is better.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Great report, enjoyed reading it.
Glad to see you didn't make our mistake of heading off up the wrong hill after the bothy!!

Hope the knee's better soon!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby coachmacca » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 am

Great report, agree that I love the fact you flew in to do it then humped that load in!

I'm keen to get some nights in Bothie's this year for the experience and this sounds a great one! :clap:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Lenore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Character building indeed! I'm glad the new sleeping bag kept you warm(ish?) and you survived the trip :wink: Hope the knee is better!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland