walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knock of Braemoray from Dava

Knock of Braemoray from Dava

by gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Knock of Braemoray

Date walked: 14/02/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.63 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Knock of Braemoray from Dava

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
gyles wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:gyles/findhornloon

This is a bit off topic but as you are both locals I don't suppose you have done The Ghost Train Walk on the Dava Way (thinking about doing it this June)??

I haven't done it but would be interested. I did see it advertised on a signpost whilst walking the Dava Way.

Sorry gyles, I've really taken this off topic but here's a link to the Dava Way website.

http://www.davaway.org.uk/dava-way-events.html

Gordie, the Ghost train walk took over from what used to be a running race from Dava to Forres. The walk starts at Grantown as shown on their website. I think it was changed as the organisors thought they would be able to get more monies in due to a walk attracting a much larger number and hence entrance fees would amout to much more for the various Forres charities. Because it is longer in distance they will expect most people will finish when it's dark. All sections are on the old railway line between Grantown and Forres, hence the Ghost train.

First time I heard about this I thought it was a bit odd but it's starting to appeal (even if just as a one off to see what it's like).
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gyles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Sorry gyles, I've really taken this off topic but here's a link to the Dava Way website.

First time I heard about this I thought it was a bit odd but it's starting to appeal (even if just as a one off to see what it's like).

I don't mind Gordie.

I do remember a friend had done this walk and enjoyed it. Not sure how but he did say he managed to wander off route into a field and got lost, losing about 30 minutes. :lol:
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 am

The start of the Dava Way trail race in 2006, which started at Dava and finished in Forres
Attachments
P1010177.JPG
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm

gyles wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Sorry gyles, I've really taken this off topic but here's a link to the Dava Way website.

I don't mind Gordie.

I do remember a friend had done this walk and enjoyed it. Not sure how but he did say he managed to wander off route into a field and got lost, losing about 30 minutes. :lol:

I thought you were going to tell me he hadn't been found yet!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi Rod

Next time I'll head to the general forum when I want to go off topic!!!!!!!!

I did the Dava Way last year and I checked out the website before doing the walk and this just grabbed my attention. Just like you I thought it sounded a bit odd but I've now changed my mind and decided I need to do this (even if it's just once).

I'm surprised I'm interested, I do all my walking solo so starting off with 100+ others (and at 10 at night) is a polar opposite to what I normally look for. :? :? :?
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland