walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lizards, deer and fluorescent tyres at the Corrieyairack

Lizards, deer and fluorescent tyres at the Corrieyairack

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Gairbeinn

Date walked: 09/02/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Gairbeinn (896m) at the Corrieyairack

This Corbett has been on my shortlist for over a year but every time I have thought about doing it – something has stopped me!

However today I was going to give it a go. There had been significant snow falls in the highlands in the week leading up to today but the Thursday and Friday were not so bad. With this in mind I reckoned the small road which branches off from Laggan would be ok. As usual the road conditions on side roads can be hard to predict and I gave myself a 50% chance of making it to the start of the walk!
Gairbeinn lies a fair distance along a single track road which stops at a bothy at Melgarve near the Corrieyairack pass. I had driven this road a couple of times before but only till Garva Bridge

I reached Laggan about 09.30 and the road conditions were fine. Even on the single track road the road was black and well treated. My gamble had paid off – or so I thought!!!!! As I reached Garva Bridge I could see snow on the road ahead. As I head on and past Garva the road conditions got worse and worse!!! The road had obviously been treated but only as far a Garva Bridge. I was now traveling along a snow, icy, slushy road…… I wanted to turn back and revert to plan B – a Drummochter Hill – however the road was so narrow I could not turn , I just kept going hoping I would not get stuck…..- However, the inevitable eventually happened – ironically – I saw a turning area without snow on it coming up – so I slowed down. Bad move, I slowed down and stopped, then I spent 10 minute sliding around going absolutely nowhere!!!! I accepted I was stuck and got out to get my shovel out . I had plenty of time I thought and it was unlikely any other cars would be coming along as the road goes to a Bothy and nowhere else. Literally seconds after thinking this a 4 by 4 rocks up! Bugger!! now I was flapping trying to get the shovel out and move the car ASAP!! Turns out the chaps in the 4 by 4 were going sledging with their kids (they are part of the team building the Beauly to Deny power line!). They helped me dig but this was not helping much!! Eventually I got the snow socks out and managed to get one on one wheel only!! However it did the trick and it pulled me out as if there was no snow at all!! Parked at the side to let the sledgers through and then stuck the second snow sock on the other wheel for the return journey!.

I was around 3km from Melgarve and where I originally planned to start. I had thought about doing the round to include Corrieyairack but that was now scrapped, I was questioning whether I would even make it up Gairbeinn now !! However I had all the kit and gave myself a turn around time of 14.00.

Off I went, I must say that (apart from the sledgers!!!) this feels a remote part of the highlands especially in these murky conditions. The forecast was for little wind and a cloud level of around 600m with fog patches, and the fog was certainly right down for most of the way. After coming off the road just past Melgarve , I made for the bealach between the SSW ridge of Gairbeinn and Meall Garbh . I wanted to stay on the ridge as the snow was deep and wet, and not for going up steep gullies or slopes.
EDITED DEER CROSSING SPEY.jpg
crossing the spey

The sweat was building as I gained height mainly due to the lack of wind!! A mixture of perspiration and mist drops made for steaming up glasses. Although nowhere near sunny , the amount of snow was a little harsh on the eyes. Once on the ridge there are a few rocky spurs before the summit ridge is gained.

I got to this point, and something amazing happened. The forecast was wrong!!!! And for a change it was in my favour. Stepping along the ridge, the bank of fog dropped below me and the surrounding summits emerged from the fog. A little inversion and although not blue skies above it was like I had won a prize!!
DSC05018 (2).jpg
name that mountain to the north?
DSC05031.JPG
poser

I lingered on the summit and eventually left around 12.30 -1300ish – well ahead of the time I thought I would arrive. Descent was certainly easier and more pleasant that the ascent as large steps in the deep snow made quick progress.

I also wanted to mention the wildlife. All day there had been load of deer and hares around but on nearing the powerline road I almost flattened what looked like a lizard!!!!! I have seen these a few times in Scotland but only in Spring or Summer, I was amazed to see this out on the snow – very sluggish but alive no the less!!! Not sure if it should have been out or not!!!
DSC05036.JPG
lizard!?!?!

Anyway I spent the day worrying about getting back down to Garva Bridge in my less than ideal car for the snow!!! However with the snow socks on it was a doddle and I got home safe and sound and with time to spare. Another Corbett ticked off and a few nice memories to savour

EDITED STAG.jpg
stag

DSC05028.JPG
wilkiemurray

Re: Lizards, deer and fluorescent tyres at the Corrieyairack

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Some cracking photos there! :clap: :clap:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby denfinella » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Lizard in Scotland, in the snow, in mid-February? That's not something you're likely to see again...!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Frigate » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Excellent video as usual, lizard looks to Lacerta Vivipara - Common lizard, could be male by the colouring. They usually hibernate from October to March singularly or in groups and do wake up occasionally if the weather warms up.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:51 am

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Some cracking photos there! :clap: :clap:

Thanks - when I set out I wasnt expecting to get any pictures wth the mist etc etc so glad I got some :crazy: :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:51 am

denfinella wrote:Lizard in Scotland, in the snow, in mid-February? That's not something you're likely to see again...!

exactly what I thought!! :o
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 am

Frigate wrote:Excellent video as usual, lizard looks to Lacerta Vivipara - Common lizard, could be male by the colouring. They usually hibernate from October to March singularly or in groups and do wake up occasionally if the weather warms up.

thanks Frigate - interesting info - I weas not 100% if it was a lizard or newt so good to get some clarification!! poor wee thing just about got squashed under my feet!
wilkiemurray

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Another cracking video, you certainly got that sussed. Great photographs and well worth the effort, I wouldn't fancy the road though. I await the next wilkiemurray instalment. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Another fine video of your day,keep em coming.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Always enjoy your reports :clap: :D
..was just looking at routes up this one the other day ..now ive got even more incentive to give this one a bash :)
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland