walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Fife 3 Marilyns and a bonus in Perth

North Fife 3 Marilyns and a bonus in Perth

by The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Route description: Norman's Law, from Luthrie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnie Hill, Mount Hill, Norman's Law

Date walked: 18/02/2013

Time taken: 2.9 hours

Distance: 9.78 km

Ascent: 488m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: North Fife 3 Marilyns and a bonus in Perth

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:33 pm

RTC wrote:
Sgurr wrote:I think it's actually eight, as the Bishop is technically in KInross. No, I don't know if anyone has done them. There's a challenge for you Rodmeister....you might even get TROTM, though I doubt if the judges ever come down to these low elevations. I did think that given less ferocious winds and a less dodgy car we could have picked up the others. There is a very direct way up Dumyat from the "back", Largo Law is simple and Dumglow equally has a short version.

Can I suggest adding Lendrick Hill near Muckhart to the challenge? Only about 10 minutes detour from the main road and not a very long walk. It could be substituted for Dumyat and save about 30 minutes drive.

Travelling from Stirling to St Andrews about 20 Fridays a year I usually manage a Fife Marilyn. I always intend to go up Dumyat from Menstrie first and then take in one of the Fife Marilyns. So far I've only done it once. - Combined Dumyat with East Lomond [from Falkland]. After one Marilyn a walk on the St Andrews west sands always seems preferable. - Hard to beat on a sunny winter's day. [Hope our coffee date is still on in September, Sgurr.]

I hardly ever go up Dumyat from the "back". However, I don't go as far as a fell running pal of Dave Hewitt who doesn't count it as an ascent if done from this direction.

Hi there RTC, I have not forgotten re contacting you re Dumyat, I must admit I would not have thought Dumyat was in Fife, I must checkout my County Boundary Maps :) I would have included Dumglow, Benarty Hill, Mount Hill, Cairnie Hill, Normans Law, East and West Lomond and Largo Law. I would have included Bishop Hill but now been informed by Sgurr that this is outwith the boundary. Now to checkout Lendrick Hill with the very slippy descent.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Sorry, elderly moment. I didn't mean Dumyat, I meant Dumglow
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby redvark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 am

loved the write up on the attempt at 8 Sgurr. It probably is possible, might have a go at it having the advantage of being local. probably start with largo Law, that ascent wouldn't be something to look forward too after 7 others
redvark
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:90   Islands:17

Postby Robertgee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Enjoyed your walk report, I used it to help me with the best way up Cairnie Hill, my last of the Fife Marilyns. :) Parking spot isn't very good at this time of the year (August), pretty much overgrown as it's summer. I found another spot 150 yards further on. A track turns left to run along the south shore of the loch. There's room for 2, or maybe 3 cars right at the start of this track. Just keep tight against the fence, so there's plenty room for farm vehicles to pass.
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 pm

Actually got around to doing all seven in a day last year. Keep planning to work out if I could include Bishop's Hill to have a bash at "8 before 80", but think I may be running out of steam

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62760
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland