walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Small hills for the shortest day - the Mealls of Amulree

Small hills for the shortest day - the Mealls of Amulree

Postby John Burgess » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Caorach, Meall Reamhar

Date walked: 22/12/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To be honest I almost didn’t venture out – what a waste that would have been! I was supposed to be heading to Ben Vrackie with a friend but he rang early to say that he’d been unwell during the night and couldn’t make it. The weather didn’t look that great so I got on with a few jobs around home until, looking out of the window, I noticed the mist clearing and a lovely pinkish glow appearing on the hills. Hmm, quick change of plans. Late away on the shortest day – perfect for that pair of Grahams above Amulree I’ve kept meaning to climb. I thought I might be the first to put in a walk report for them but I see that Graeme got there before me :o
A drive up through picture postcard scenery had me parked at the (sadly closed) hotel by 10:30. A couple of minutes enjoying the view from the bridge then it was off south along the road until the track to Girron headed off left.

From the bridge in Amulree.JPG

The track to Girron.JPG

Girron.JPG

The sound of barking greeted me here and, sure enough, 5 frisky locals bounced and bounded in my direction rolling and frolicking in the snow. What is it with me and dogs :lol: At least they were good natured if rather energetic but they were clearly intent on joining me. Eventually the shepherd appeared and called them back – 2 still seemed to think walkies with me seemed more fun so I had to head back with them and hand them over to their rightful owner :(

Snow is SUCH fun.JPG

I followed the landrover track up to about 400m then followed some hare tracks which wandered up the slopes to Creag Ghorm. I’m told that the two paw prints in line at the rear are the front paws, the ones side by side at the front are the hind legs.
At one point on the track I found a spot where it appeared a bird had run round in circles a couple of times then collapsed in the snow. Perhaps he’d found the remains of some of the illicit whisky which used to be distilled around here.

Hare tracks.JPG

What went on here then.JPG

Looking towards Meall nan Caorach and Meall Reamhar.JPG

A friend of mine has worked for the local estate on and off for many years. He told me of a day over 30 years ago when they were demolishing an old cottage. Built into the wall behind the fireplace they found a still!

Hoar frost covered everything turning each blade of grass into ornaments of a wonderful delicacy.

Hoar Frost.JPG

As I gained height the view started to open out, and very impressive it was too. On these slopes of tussock and powder snow I was moving slowly enough to fully appreciate it :wink:

The view looking back.JPG

Beinn a'Ghlo.JPG

Amulree.JPG

Schiehallion.JPG

The Carn Mairg range.JPG

An Stuc, Meall Garbh and Meall Greigh.JPG

Glen Quaich and Loch Freuchie.JPG

Once past Creag Ghorm a couple of downs and ups brought me to the trig point on Meall nan Caorach.

Between Creag Ghorm and Meall nan Caorach.JPG

Meall nan Caorach trig point.JPG

From here it was a case of following the fence down and back up through powder snow and deep heather to Meall Reamhar. By the time I reached the summit the storm clouds which had been visible in the west all day seemed to be gradually moving my way and the sun was hidden behind them. There was still a fine view to the Lomonds of Fife however.

Onwards towards Meall Reamhar.JPG

Meall Reamhar Summit.JPG

The Lomonds.JPG

I headed back down to the col and then wandered along the landrover track.
For a while I followed a set of prints which I suspected to be a fox. Evenly spaced and almost in a straight line. Can anyone confirm that?

Meall Dearg behind Amulree.JPG

Fox tracks perhaps.JPG

The dogs of Girron were heard but not seen so I had time for a photo looking back to my hills. The storm clouds had receded again and the final stretch down to Amulree was a pleasant end to the day, a normally drab landscape improved no end by the snow. The moon was prominent by the time I was back at the car whose thermometer hit minus 12 on the drive back. Maybe we will get a real winter this year :D

The view back from Girron.JPG

Girron Burn.JPG

The only Moonshine found around here today.JPG
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Small hills for the shortest day - the Mealls of Amulree

Postby kevsbald » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Wonderful. Sustenance while in work. Wish I was out there.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Great report and pictures - you look to have had a great day! :D
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Lovely report. Dangle a bit of holly from your monitor and it all looks very festive :D

Makes me feel guilty that we haven't made more of all the good cold weather this last week.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks and a Happy Christmas to one and all. Santa was good to me. He brought me a bottle of Highland Park. How COULD he have known :lol:
John Burgess

Postby Alan S » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Great report again john 8) stunning pics
I looked at the pic marked meall dearg behind amulree and knew i had seen a similar shot on the "wheres the pic" thread it looks like they are taken from the same spot :shock:
CIMG1772.jpg
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:57 pm

alan sherry wrote:Great report again john 8) stunning pics
I looked at the pic marked meall dearg behind amulree and knew i had seen a similar shot on the "wheres the pic" thread it looks like they are taken from the same spot

Cheers Alan. Well remembered - I'd forgotten! I actually managed to recognise that 'where's the pic' shot without having been to the actual spot - the woods around Amulree are fairly distinctive :wink:

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby Graeme D » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Excellent stuff John. I really like the series of panoramic shots across to Schiehallion, the Lawers group and the Carn Mairg circuit. There's something about your snowy panorama shots! Very different from the day I did these two in the late summer, but nice to see them looking like this.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alan S » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:43 pm

John Burgess wrote:
alan sherry wrote:Great report again john 8) stunning pics
I looked at the pic marked meall dearg behind amulree and knew i had seen a similar shot on the "wheres the pic" thread it looks like they are taken from the same spot

Cheers Alan. Well remembered - I'd forgotten! I actually managed to recognise that 'where's the pic' shot without having been to the actual spot - the woods around Amulree are fairly distinctive :wink:

All the best,

John

Thanks, it stuck in my head as i remember the pic when it came out and i knew it was amulree and was searching the map to see what the names of the hills where when somebody beat me to it :wink:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby hills » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Nice, i enjoyed these hills, didnt get views like that tho, so very nice!!
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland