walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenmore lodge winter skills weekend day 1

Glenmore lodge winter skills weekend day 1

Postby Physicistinboots » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 16/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 6.24 km

Ascent: 633m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a summer and autumn filled with hill walking trips the though of a long flat winter was far too depressing. However walking in winter is a daunting prospect when you have never tried it before. So I decided that the best way to conquer my nerves would be to take a course in the basics of crampon and ice axe use as well as winter navigation and avalanche awareness. The Glenmore lodge introduction to winter skills seemed to tick all of these boxes (and fit within my budget constraints :) ) . So I persuaded a few friends to come with me and booked the course.

The only time that we could all manage turned out to be mid-February so there were still a couple of months of flat walks and tiny Fife hills. However I tried to make the most of this by carrying a large heavy bag in preparation for a few longer trips planned for the summer. The fitness gained certainly helped on the winter skills course!

After weeks of anticipation and excitement the weekend finally arrived. Despite some issues with trains we made it in good time to enjoy a hot meal at the bar and get a good nights rest before waking up to a full cooked breakfast :D .

First task of the day was kit selection and advice. Our instructor went through his rucksack contents and answered any questions we had about our own stuff. I opted to try out my own B1 boots on the first day to see how they worked with the crampons. They turned out to be ok for walking on the snow but the crampons did not fit them very well so on day two I borrowed a pair of plastic boots from the lodge stores to feel the difference. Less comfortable on rock/mud/grass but the crampons stayed on and they were great on the snow - warm and totally waterproof.

All technical equipment (e.g. ice axe, crampons and helmet) could be borrowed for the stores, so it was a great chance to try out winter walking without shelling out for expensive equipment.

We were dropped off at the Ski centre car park at Cairn Gorm.and the route for the day involved walking to the top of the mountain via the sub-top at 1141m , then back down the same way. In summer a relatively easy hill walk and even in winter not too physically challenging, so a great place to practise some skills and study the warning signs of potential avalanches.

We covered a lot of theory relating to avalanches - why they occur, where and when they are likely to occur and how to read the avalanche reports. Also what to do if you are caught in one. We also learnt how to walk on snow in just boots, how to use an ice axe to self belay and cut steps and how to walk in boots with crampons.

One thing I had been expecting was terrible weather - wind, snow, sleet, hail, total white out. Instead we were treated to two of the most gorgeous days on the hills I have ever seen. Much better views than the majority of my summer hill walks :D . Clear skies, sunshine, warm enough to only wear a base layer and a waterproof for part of the way up. At the top it was a bit windier but nothing too bad and even sitting to eat lunch was fine once wrapped up in my down jacket.

My favourite part of the day did have to be the ice axe self arrest practise :D . sliding down a hill head first trying to remember what you are supposed to be doing with the pointy bit of metal in your hand is exhilarating!

All too soon we had to head back to the minibus. Walking back at the end of the day through thick snow feels a bit like what I imagine walking on the moon must feel like. Almost leaping in slow motion down the slopes. At the lodge a tea and cake break awaited us (a new must for every walk I think :D ) followed by a couple of lectures on avalance awareness and winter navigation. Very useful stuff, especially guiding us through all of the extra planning that has to be done before a winter walk.

We finished off the day with dinner and a trip to the sauna before falling into bed ready for the next days walk :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG
Physicistinboots

Munros:66   Corbetts:1
Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Glenmore lodge winter skills weekend day 1

Postby Rudolph » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 pm

TThanks for both of these. Glad you enjoyed them they looked great and very tempting.

Did you make your own grroup up or just join in with a course that was being run anyway?
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Great report...specially hearing your opinion about it! It is one thing to read the adverts ...or read about first hand experiences. One thing I always wondered is...could the skills not be shared with experiences friends? Or at least some?
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Physicistinboots » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am

Rudolph wrote:TThanks for both of these. Glad you enjoyed them they looked great and very tempting.

Did you make your own grroup up or just join in with a course that was being run anyway?

For the winter skills course you have groups of up to six people with an instructor. We booked as a group of four people and then had one other person join us on the course. It is fine to book as an individual or a small group, they will organise you into suitably sized groups for the course.

Part of the fun of the weekend was meeting other people at the lodge participating in different courses - masses of walking/climbing/skiing obsessed people :-)
Physicistinboots

Postby Physicistinboots » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am

Mountainlove wrote:Great report...specially hearing your opinion about it! It is one thing to read the adverts ...or read about first hand experiences. One thing I always wondered is...could the skills not be shared with experiences friends? Or at least some?

I think that some of the skills could be. Our instructor encouraged us to practise our ice axe self arrest technique by finding a safe place and teaching our friends. For other things (in particular the avalanche awareness) I think having a qualified instructor with years of experience is important. Also for me personally, having professional instruction helped a lot with building my confidence. I would never have thought before hand that I could reach the top of Cairn Gorm in the middle of winter after only one day of skills training :) . The course helped me to see that whilst winter hill walking does require much more planning and knowledge than summer hill walking, it is possible to pick up the relevant skills reasonably quickly and then the best way to improve on them is to get out there and start walking!
Physicistinboots

Postby clivew » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I was on the same course as you but in a different group; my brother (who was with me) and myself had a great time, the weather was amazing. I was really impressed with Glenmore Lodge, the staff, accommodation and the grub were all excellent. :clap: :clap:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland