walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenmore lodge winter skills weekend day 2

Glenmore lodge winter skills weekend day 2

Postby Physicistinboots » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Date walked: 17/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 650m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two of the Glenmore lodge introduction to winter skills. Feeling more confident using the crampons and ice axe than on the previous day. Our pace was a bit faster but again we took many breaks to learn something new or practise a particular skill.

On of the main topics of the day was snow shelters. Our instructor dug us a "snow grave," terrible name but very effective - the reduction in the wind from even a fairly shallow trench was considerable. We also visited some snow holes that had been dug by other groups, no time to build our own as they take a good few hours. We went inside one which had a very low ceiling, fun for a few minutes but a bit nerve racking to spend the night there!

We were walking around the Cairn Gorm area again, this time from the lower ski carpark. We had a good view on the way up of one particular "terrain trap" where snow had built up and the risk of avalanche was high. As with day one plenty of time was taken explaining how to recognise a dangerous area from the avalanche report, weather reports and personal observations.

Some of the boggy areas on the route had frozen into ice sheets often with a steep gradient, so we had some fun climbing up and down these trying to have faith in the ability of the crampons to grip!

And once more we tried some self arrest techniques, this time on a much steeper slope. We had to let ourselves slide for a bit to pick up some speed before trying the techniques to make it a bit more realistic. Still great fun but a little terrifying!

Overall two awesome days, great instruction (thanks Rafael :D ), great weather, great food (particularly the chocolate cake) and great company. I am now more aware of the risks of winter walking and the planning required to reduce them. However I am also now more aware of how beautiful the Scottish mountains can be in winter and how much of a thrill it can be to walk in them :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG
Physicistinboots

Munros:66   Corbetts:1
Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Glenmore lodge winter skills weekend day 2

Postby gyles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm finding your skills reports great, a good insight to what your learning.

I've been discussing with friends about doing a couple of courses but I don't think we'll get a winter one in before the season finishes. Thanks for posting. :clap:
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Postby Physicistinboots » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks for the comment :-)

I would definitely recommend a course, I have already started looking into a scrambling course for the summer and another winter course for next year!
Physicistinboots

Munros:66   Corbetts:1
Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby dunrig » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Physicistinboots -there is something people should know:

Last week an 18yr old died in an avalanche while on a Glenmore Lodge course, what makes this different to other deaths is the clear duty of care Glenmore Lodge has towards course participants. At the least I presume there will be an inquiry to establish what, if anything, went wrong.

I hope this fact will not put people off taking winter skills courses but I think we should acknowledge it.
dunrig

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland