walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moncreiffe Hill dog walkers paradise.

Moncreiffe Hill dog walkers paradise.

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Route description: Moncreiffe Hill near Perth

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Moncreiffe Hill

Date walked: 18/02/2013

Time taken: 0.5 hours

Distance: 3.84 km

Ascent: 128m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Since I was close to Perth after walking the three North Fife Marilyns I decided rather than travel through Fife I would head on through Bridge of Earn towards Perth and do this wee Marilyn, arrived at the Tay Car Park at the foot of the hill at 1200hrs and had a bite to eat before hitting the Dog lovers trails with filled Poop bags either side of the track, I assume they were to be collected on the way down.
1.JPG
The start of the trail at the Tay Car Park
2.JPG
Zig Zag paths until you reach the wooded area, nothing but doggie poo bags all over the place along with unrully dogs running here there and everywhere, I'm not hanging about here for long, with no pack on just getting on with it.
3.JPG
Start of the wooded trail
4.JPG
Keeping to the red trail and always take a left turn as per Graeme D's report
5.JPG
The summit comes into view
Attachments
6.JPG
The summit in 15mins and back down in 15mins, well what is there to hang about for, hazy views on top, and quite frankly, not the best of walks. But 4 hills done by 1245hrs, now off down the road, or should I say race track Perth/Dundee road.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Moncreiffe Hill dog walkers paradise.

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Och, I dunno Rod. It's not a bad wee daunder, albeit a bit marred by the dog turds! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Graeme D wrote:Och, I dunno Rod. It's not a bad wee daunder, albeit a bit marred by the dog turds! :roll:

I knew you would reply to that Graeme D :lol: It certainly is not the place to take my wife she hates dogs running up to her and barking. Compared with the other three hills when I saw absolutely no one, this place was hoaching with folk, and on a Monday as well :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am

Aye, it used to be a bit quieter but since they built the new carpark on the Tay side a few years back, you seldom get it to yourself! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 pm

I had this on my to do list for a summer evening but a bit put off now! I do have a dog but after she has been attacked a few times I don't really like overly busy dog routes and she doesn't always like strange dogs running and jumping all over her. Really nice looking views though although all the poo bags cant have been pleasant :lol:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I had this on my to do list for a summer evening but a bit put off now! I do have a dog but after she has been attacked a few times I don't really like overly busy dog routes and she doesn't always like strange dogs running and jumping all over her. Really nice looking views though although all the poo bags cant have been pleasant :lol:

Yesterday, being good weather, brought out all the dog walkers, maybe on a wet windy day head up and you will find no one but I very much doubt it, and it is a very short walk to the top, your up and down no time at all, if I were you I would head on up to the likes of Deuchary Hill and Birnham Hill at Dunkeld, your spoilt for choice for different routes, much nicer. Don't get me wrong I like larger dogs not the little yappy type that go for your ankles and bark :o
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dunrock » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Done this walk a few times, but stuck to the red route as per walk highlands. It's a 5 mile walk, but the further u get from the Tay car park, the quieter it becomes, especially on the south side. Done it from bridge of earn side as well, where we petty much seen no-one, but the road leading to car park is a bit dodgy with potholes. Nice weather you had.
dunrock
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:11   
Wainwrights:3   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 pm

dunrock wrote:Done this walk a few times, but stuck to the red route as per walk highlands. It's a 5 mile walk, but the further u get from the Tay car park, the quieter it becomes, especially on the south side. Done it from bridge of earn side as well, where we petty much seen no-one, but the road leading to car park is a bit dodgy with potholes. Nice weather you had.

Ta for that dunrock, will heed your advise if I'm ever back up there, approach from the South :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Sarah86 wrote:I had this on my to do list for a summer evening but a bit put off now! I do have a dog but after she has been attacked a few times I don't really like overly busy dog routes and she doesn't always like strange dogs running and jumping all over her. Really nice looking views though although all the poo bags cant have been pleasant :lol:

Yesterday, being good weather, brought out all the dog walkers, maybe on a wet windy day head up and you will find no one but I very much doubt it, and it is a very short walk to the top, your up and down no time at all, if I were you I would head on up to the likes of Deuchary Hill and Birnham Hill at Dunkeld, your spoilt for choice for different routes, much nicer. Don't get me wrong I like larger dogs not the little yappy type that go for your ankles and bark :o

Yes, the shorter walks on nice days do bring them all out! Going to have a look at the Dunkeld ones, always looking for new walks a little further afield. The ochils are my local hills and Dumyat on a nice day can be very busy.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Hhhmmmm, not so sure about this one.

I love dogs but boots could be a bit whiffy on the drive home!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hhhmmmm, not so sure about this one.

I love dogs but boots could be a bit whiffy on the drive home!!

Gordie, I didn't hang about, up and down and off :lol: The boots that is :lol: Just kidding I never saw any dog muck on the paths but I wasn't looking, but there was plenty of bags, green and black filled with the stuff lying about. :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Sarah86 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

Yes, the shorter walks on nice days do bring them all out! Going to have a look at the Dunkeld ones, always looking for new walks a little further afield. The ochils are my local hills and Dumyat on a nice day can be very busy.

Funny you should mention Dumyat I was looking at reports for that and also the Paps of Fife, I should have been doing them today, but things did not go to plan. Dumyat looks interesting as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dunrock » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Why do people go to the bother of picking the poo up?? It's not if there are no doggy bins on moncrieff.
dunrock
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:11   
Wainwrights:3   

Postby hills » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Smashing wee hill, great place to take the dog for a guid rake.... The poop run is quite unique. :lol: This hill is a magnificent viewpoint on a clear day, I must go back, keep these coming, you bring back good memories. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby redvark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:56 am

Did the southside walk a couple of weekends ago, same problem with poo bags I'm afraid, though it was really quite (saw about 5 other people).

There are no bins on the southside so clearly the thought of removing your dogs waste in your own car is a bit of a problem for some folk. Annoys the hell out of me as it eventually means us responsible owners get banned from sites along with the numpties

Anyway it was a great little walk, good views from the summit. Certainly much better than the 2 of the 3 North Fifers (Normans Law being the exception)
redvark
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:90   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland