walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Bheithir

Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby ianmcr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 21/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1210m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The night before, after too much research including weather forecasts ,munro books and walkhighlands website, I decided to travel to Ballachulish to climb these two Munro's. The following morning while driving up the A82 the light on the Black Mount was magical and I began to reconsider my decision but reluctantly drove past the road to the ski centre.
I arrived at the Glean a' Chaolais car park at 9:30, quickly put on my boots and sorted my gear and was soon on the path to the hills. It was not long before I was happy with my decision to do these two hills and the light was magical here too.
At the foot of the corrie it was on with the crampons and switched walking pole for ice axe. The approach to the col showed the delight that was to follow as a rim of bright light backlit the cornice.
Walking up the ridge to Sgorr Dhonuill in the bright sunshine was fantastic and a sting in the tale near the summit meant that I had to have my wits about me while scrambling up the last few metres of snow.
The decent back to the col posed little problems and I was ready for the ascent of Sgorr Dhearg in now time.
This decent although not as technical as the previous took it's toll on my legs and many rests were required. The journey up the ridge was rather windy but two metres from the summit trig point the wind stopped leaving a perfect silence.
The decent back to car was uneventful with the exception of a huge smile on my face. Another great day in the hills and two more Munro's ticked.
ianmcr
Mountain Walker

Munros:225   
Fionas:2   Donalds:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland