walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Alpine Scotland! Two mountains in Glen Etive......

Alpine Scotland! Two mountains in Glen Etive......

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Chasgaig

Date walked: 23/02/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Mhic Chasgaig and Creise

Video shows it all really!!:

The weather had been superb a few days leading up to today and I could not resist the temptation of getting out – white hills, blue skies and no wind was too much for me!! The forecast was to remain the same for today – or so I hoped!!

The excitement got me out of bed at 05.00am (with help from one of my children waking at 04.30!!) and off I went up the road towards Rannoch Moor and Glencoe. Due to the fact that I am making my way through the Corbetts I decided on Binn Mhic Chasgaig as I reckoned this would give great views of an awesome area in such fine conditions. I also planned on prolonging the walk should the forecast be correct and head up Creise which I had been on a few times before.
Driving up and past the Black mount and Rannoch., I decided to stop and get some pictures in as dawn was approaching, it was looking great !!! Today could just be one of those days!!!
DSC05118.JPG
Loch Ba - Early!!

DSC05115.JPG
Black Mount - early

I parked up at the single car space near the bridge over the River Etive at Alltchaorunn and ran down to make sure the big gate across the bridge was not locked – I did not fancy a swimming across the Etive!! It was open so I head back to the car and got kitted up. Strangely there was a stiff breeze when I got out of the car – this was not forecast!!! However it was to be the only wind I experienced all day.
I got going – it was about 07.20. Across the bridge and there were a couple of rather large stags on the road to the cottage but a sign takes hikers across the moor and bypasses the cottage to regain the pain up the side of the Allt a’ Chaorainn. You soon reach the point where the two streams meet, after going past some fantastic – almost aqua pools – then start heading SE up the Coire Ghiubhasan, heading towards a small wooded area.
Here you head across the Allt Coire Ghiubhasan on a small wooden Bridge (read PLANK across the water!!). It is good fun and with some wire hand rails to steady you it is not really too scary (even though there was a coating of ice!)! Across here then steeply up the bank on the other side to regain the path. The sun was now starting to rise and although hidden from it in the depths of Coire Ghiubhasan, the surrounding mountains were shining as the early morning light struck there summits. Looking back down the Coire and Bidean shone white on the horizon and the cleft of An Grianan looked impressive.

My route was to take the eastern spur beside the gorge heading up into the Coire Aitell. However I had to cross the stream again and this was more difficult than it looked!! The freezing temperature had put a thin and very slippy layer of Verglas on all rock protruding from the stream i.e. the ones you usually try and step on. So normal logic was washed away as I tried to step on the rocks which were under the water line!!! Across I then headed steeply uphill. This was the steepest part of the day, however the views just got better and better as I gained height – no paths here but the ground was well enough frozen to enable easy walking!!
DSC05140.JPG
Buachille with deer

DSC05141.JPG
summit sun

The gradient eased as the route started to turn to an easterly and head towards the summit. There were more larger patches of snow now but still I did not feel the need for crampons. I reached the rocky summit at 09.30am and what a place. Views were breath taking- no wind either and in the sun it felt warm. I stripped down to my T –shirt here and took in the views whilst having my second breakfast!!! Glencoe looked great as did Starav and Cruchan, Mamores etc etc. Only Creise was blocking the view further East – time to remedy that!!
DSC05151.JPG
Chasgaig summit panorama shadow

I head off SE to the col at 698m – I had to stick the crampons on here as the snow and angle required good practise. The ice axe was also deployed!! Got down then another hike back up – although the snow line was higher up I kept the crampons on as the ground was frozen solid with a lot of water ice. Up I headed in my T-Shirt (not a frequent occurrence in mid February!!) with the sweat pouring off. I took my time – no need to rush on a day like to today – perfect conditions!!

I reached the summit around 11.00am ish and spent a good 45mins on top – also heading across to the northern top to take in the vistas there too. I had been up the nose of Creise many moons ago and was trying to recall this whilst there. The views to Stob Dearg were awesome- in fact the views in all directions were breath taking some of the best – (maybe not quite as special as my recent Torridon experience though ??? close one though!!- http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27646
). The only thing missing from today which would have made it perfect was a temperature inversion with cloud!! The inversion was there ok but not a drop of cloud or fog – still a 9.5 out of ten from me!!!
DSC05190.JPG
what a view..

DSC05206.JPG
cruachan and beyond

DSC05198.JPG
posing

DSC05178.JPG

I reluctantly headed down back to the col and then very steeply down into Coire Odhar – note – this is a very steep and pathless descent in what seems like an area not frequented too much!! So I was being extra careful and must admit I felt relieved when I got across the frozen water (yep rocks still frozen And slippy! Onto the path!!
With no wind I was once again heating up on route back and for the last 30mins had no water to drink. This made the Turquoise pools so inviting and I reckon on a hot June day would have gone for a swim in these – maybe another day! Back to the car for about 13.00. It had been 6.5hrs well invested!! Memories and photos to remember!
DSC05212.JPG
pan

Too many good picture to upload here so have posted rest on my webpage if interested : http://wilkiemurray.weebly.com/some-pictures.html
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Alpine Scotland! Two mountains in Glen Etive......

Postby Lenore » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Love it!!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GariochTom » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Great movie, and the 'overhead camera' seems novel and very clever! What video camera set up do you use?

Love the black and white photos too.
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby chrisandbex » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Fantastic.

Love the website, the photos of Torridon are superb!

:clap:
chrisandbex
Mountain Walker

Munros:180   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:36   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:50 pm

stunning :D what a day :clap: :D excellent video as always :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:37 pm

These photos are sensational and I made my hubbie (who's not as hill smitten as me) sit and watch your video and even he was impressed. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Milesy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Cracking day! I was in the coe yesterday but it was misty on top and no views worth a sausage!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby old danensian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Was up in Etive earlier in the week - it's been a spectacular place to walk over these last few days.

You could spend ages on the tops just working out what you can see - to say nothing of what you want to do next.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Silverhill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Fantastic! (green with envy...)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Lenore wrote:Love it!!!

Thanks lenore - I do too :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:16 pm

GariochTom wrote:Great movie, and the 'overhead camera' seems novel and very clever! What video camera set up do you use?

Love the black and white photos too.

Hi - thanks - I use a Sony cyber shot and also a first generation go pro- if I had the funds I'd buy one of the fancy black go pros!! ,maybes next year if the price comes down :lol: they look awesome!
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 pm

chrisandbex wrote:Fantastic.

Love the website, the photos of Torridon are superb!

:clap:

Thanks - I think the torridon day triumphs over glen Etive - but only just :crazy:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:18 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:stunning :D what a day :clap: :D excellent video as always :clap: :D

Thank you :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 pm

dogplodder wrote:These photos are sensational and I made my hubbie (who's not as hill smitten as me) sit and watch your video and even he was impressed. :clap:

Praise indeed :wink: :D hope he enjoyed it
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Milesy wrote:Cracking day! I was in the coe yesterday but it was misty on top and no views worth a sausage!

Indeed it was - I am usually the one a day too late!! We're you climbing?
wilkiemurray

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland