walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill Of Stake & Misty Law

Hill Of Stake & Misty Law

Postby Backpacker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 23/02/2013

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 493m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided last night that as the weather forecast was good I was going to get out and about.

As I've quit/cut back on the fags, I've not been feeling great so thought a wee gentle stroll would be in order (Aye right)

I parked up at the Muirshiel car park and head off along the path towards the mineshafts before heading up into the moorland.

The going was a bit slow as it is very boggy but due to the cold snap still quite firm so didn't sink (too much)
Made it to the top of Hill Of Stake before turning round and heading towards Misty Law. It dawned on me that this walk would be nightmare in the summer, I don't know what it would be like approaching from Largs but the whole route was quite heavy going, especially to descent from Misty Law back to the car park.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Backpacker on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Hill Of Stake & Misty Law

Postby Backpacker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:01 pm

RTC wrote:Nice photos. This walk certainly is a nightmare in wet conditions. I was up to my waste in a bog between Hill of Stake and Misty Law in November a couple of years ago. Very scary!

I could see it being a nightmare when it's wet up there and I think I know where you probably went through

Thankfully today the ground was quite firm, on saying that though, I wish I'd put my gaters on (I did have them with me) when descending Misty Law, I did end up steeping into a bog up to my knee :D
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland