walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Postby Scotsman2012 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Route description: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Corbetts included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Date walked: 23/02/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked up in the usual spot across from the bungalow and was away by 8am.

The first part of the walk is on a decent landrover track until you reach the field full of cows:

As far as getting across the cow field is concerned, I would suggest staying over to the left off the track - heading straight along the track isn't advisable at this time of year when things are frozen up so I dread to think what it might be like when it's been wet for a while! :sick:

I picked a suitable point to leave the landrover track and headed up the side of the small hill called Willieanna and reached the top about an hour after leaving the car. The way ahead to the next hill, and onwards towards the main summit of the day, is aided by following a 'stane dyke':

After the steep climb up to the top of Dunool, the views started opening up a bit...

For the final part of the ascent, I stuck on my microspikes as there was a bit more snow about now. I reached the summit cairn & trig point after 2 and a half hours, not bad for my first of the year:

No views and nowhere to sit, the shelter round the trig point was full of snow!

The route back down is aided as well, just keep another 'stane dyke' on your right all the way down the hill to the wee wooden bridge over a burn then follow it round to the right to the landrover track.

It was a busy set of hills today, I met over 20 folk while I was heading down, the majority from a hillwalking group. They looked as though they'd get views from the top as every time I turned round for a look, the clag was clearing and the sun was trying to make an appearance. By the time I got back past the cow field, it was looking good up there:

Last edited by Scotsman2012 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Re: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Postby Scotsman2012 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Tried linking to my flickr photos for the first time but it looks like there might be a problem!

Anyone got any advice?
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Postby Scotsman2012 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:27 pm

All sorted now! 8)
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Postby old danensian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm

It's a nice jaunt this one - shame about the lack of views, especially over to the west.

I did it the other way round last year and would have been grateful for some frozen ground on the track up to Cairnsmore.

I see them in the distance when I drive out of our village and am glad to have the opportunity to head south every now and again instead of north.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:16 am

just had a week in Galloway. I had never been before but will certainly return. Didn't get up this hill but had it in mind for next time. Will have to be careful of the cows however as i walk with a dog
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Scotsman2012 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:05 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Will have to be careful of the cows however as i walk with a dog

One of the groups I met had a wee dog with them so I don't think it'll be a problem, the cows seemed very docile yesterday.
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland