walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion Feb 23rd 2013

Schiehallion Feb 23rd 2013

Postby gymman47 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 23/02/2013

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 731m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I got up at 4 am as it was quite a drive to get there and wanted to get home mid afternoon. Arrived at car park at 0745 and set off at 0805. I could see snow further up the hill but it was pretty clear path for the first 45 mins. When the snow was more prominent then I decided to put my crampons on to avoid slipping. The path was great most of the way and only when around 500 metres it seemed to get lost under deep snow. :roll: The views really were amazing and you could see for miles all around and it was a pretty calm clear day. It was cold though and as I got higher up it began to bite in and I started to rum in places just to keep warm. The crampons made me feel like superman and if anyone had seen me running would have thought me mad ! :crazy: I came accross what I believe to be 2 Ptarmigans and they were well disguised in the rocks covered in snow and ice.There did appear to be more than one summit although we know that's not true but every time I thought I was approaching the summit another one would appear in the distance. I finally got to the top around 10am and it was baltic so took some pics phoned my mum and told her " Top of the world mama", always wanted to say that !!! I quickly started my descent and met my first walker of the day and stopped for a blether. Not long after I met a few other walkers and a nice lady who was out walking her dog. I arrived back at the car at around 1145 am. I then drove homeward bound and picked up a pizza on the way and some nice drink to have with it. Got home around 3pm , hot bath, pizza, drink and log fire on. Great end to another wonderful day in Scotland. :)
Attachments
Schihallion 2013 036.jpg
Schiehallion from the start of the walk.
Schihallion 2013 037.jpg
Looking back towards car park.
Schihallion 2013 045.jpg
I thought this was the summit
Schihallion 2013 063.jpg
Caught sight of these two Ptarmigan on way up !
Schihallion 2013 074.jpg
Approaching The Summit.
Schihallion 2013 059.jpg
Schihallion 2013 079.jpg
More Views from the top.
Schihallion 2013 085.jpg
Top of the world mama !
Schihallion 2013 096.jpg
Amazing views towards Loch Rannoch.
Schihallion 2013 102.jpg
On way down...where's my razor ??
Schihallion 2013 108.jpg
Old ruins on way down near car park.
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland