walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh & Glas-bheinn Mhor - My first Grahams

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh & Glas-bheinn Mhor - My first Grahams

Postby gyles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Glas-bheinn Mhor, Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Date walked: 26/02/2013

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got out today to climb my first Grahams. Trying to stay local I chose to travel towards Loch Ness and climb Meall Fuar-mhonaidh and take a diversion to take in Glas-bheinn Mhor whilst I was there.

Weather was perfect, clear blue skies, 100% visibility with no wind. It was a cold start with hard frost and ice.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left the car park just after 11 along the good way marked path. The summit looked fantastic in the sun. It was a fairly easy going path all the way up. It was fairly muddy in some parts but due to the conditions the mud was frozen and easy to walk over.

025.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

030.JPG
Ben Wyvis

040.JPG
Loch Ness north end

041.JPG
Loch Ness soth end, Ben Nevis in the distance?

047.JPG
Glas-bheinn Mhor for later

The north westerly side of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh is a steep drop so I retraced my walk back down the hill path and diverted round to find an easier drop down. I was surprised the heather wasn't particularly long, it was easy to get through. I was crossing a drainage basin to get to Glas-bheinn Mhor but fortunately because of the cold it was all frozen over. I would dread to walk through it when its thawed.

057.JPG
Glas-bheinn Mhor summit

058.JPG
Happy chappie

064.JPG
Meall Fuar-mhonaidh from Glas-bheinn Mhor

069.JPG
Westerly views

070.JPG
Westerly zoomed

073.JPG
A frozen Loch nam Breac Dearga

A great day, I really enjoyed doing these 2. Fantastic views of Loch Ness and luckily the clear skies gave a great panorama all round. One I'll come back to do again.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Re: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh & Glas-bheinn Mhor - My first Graham

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Done MF many times but not the other one so thanks for the idea. :wink:

You have some nice blue sky shots here. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland