walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gulvain. Sunshine, slips and sare knees!

Gulvain. Sunshine, slips and sare knees!

Postby Luke88 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Route description: Gulvain, near Kinlocheil

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Date walked: 23/02/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1228m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first trip away with the Aberdeen YMCA. The guys were great fun and super experienced so it made for a comfortable trip. We arrived at Ben Nevis youth hostel about 2200 on the Friday, had a few beers then retired to bed.

Trip began from the layby as the route instructs. As stressed in every report of this walk, take a damn bike if you can. Its a long walk in/ out with not really much to look at. The mist was low as forecast but due to brighten up in the afternoon.

113_1515.JPG
SW face of Gulvain on which you scale

Again as documented, the climb is pretty steep. The path zig-zags up the hill and becomes tedious quite quickly. The views behind back into the glen are bonny, when the mist isnt there. We made good time to the 855m point, I think it was two hours though I may be wrong. I was more interested in my pasta than the time. This was the snow level though it wasnt overly deep. It was icy though as I was to later succumb too.

113_1523.JPG
Up towards the trig point

113_1537.JPG
Looking back to 855m

113_1538.JPG
Big Ben still in the clouds

The sun began to break through which gave us about 10 minutes of actually seeing where we were going and there was some nice views to be had. So nice in fact that I stood around marvelling and let the group carry on. As I continued taking pictures by the trig point, the icy mist came back in and I found myself quite alone without seeing the exact direction the guys went. I knew it was downhill but I couldnt see their footprints so I proceeded with caution. Axe oot, I began descending the 50 or so metres which takes you onto the final ridge of the walk. In fine conditions it would be easy to roll down but the ice made life difficult and of course I slipped after a few steps. This was my first fall outwith a controlled environment and admittedly I did feel a bit scared. I dug the axe in, stopped and gathered my thoughts. I thought I could make out some footprints to my left so I began to edge towards them and as I did I fell again. No damage done though, just a bruised ego. The team were waiting another 100m away in the mist.

The ridge felt a wee bit intimidating with the snow on it and my previous slide but we made good time to the summit where we had tea and pictures.

We retraced the steps back and by the time we reached the trig point again, I think there was 30 mins between the two points, the sun was out, the Ben was out and it was a lovely day!

The descent was a ******* because of my sare knees so I enjoyed the walk out in peace as I let them go ahead. Actually thats a lie, I didnt enjoy it at all. I hate a walk out.

Gulvain is a bonny wee hill, but not one I wish to return to in a hurry. 7 hours in summer conditions should easily be broken.

113_1551.JPG
West of Trig

113_1554.JPG

113_1559.JPG
Trig, not true summit

113_1567.JPG
Towards true summit, at top of descent I fell down

113_1568.JPG
Ridge to cairn

113_1571.JPG
Moi on cairn.

113_1576.JPG

113_1581.JPG

113_1602.JPG

113_1614.JPG

113_1616.JPG

113_1618.JPG
Luke88
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Gulvain. Sunshine, slips and sare knees!

Postby dooterbang » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Fantastic first trip with new walking buddies.

Looks a nice hill...which I've still to do.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:257   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Nice pictures! But please get yourself some crampons if you are going out in icy conditions like that!!!!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:95
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:42   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 pm

becomes tedious quite quickly.

Understatement of the year! lol :lol:
That first climb is brutally steep and just seems to last for ever!

I enjoyed the ridge between the two summits though, looks like it was quite heavily corniced from your pics.... was blowing a gale when we did it.

Hope your leg heals quickly.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby PeteR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Some nice photos there :D And a great report too :D A bit of a killer this one, but a great ridge once you are up there.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland