walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Further rehab on Ben Ledi

Further rehab on Ben Ledi

Postby soulminer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 27/02/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A day off, where to go ? Had spoke to Doogz on Monday about being out and about, he had kindly offered to change his day off to assist an ailing friend in his rehabilitation. I thanked him for his consideration, but with the Spring in some degree of ascendancy the dogs might not be out and about when the lambing season starts, so I would give them a run about- plus I am at the point of not over doing it, and he would be standing about twiddling his thumbs waiting for me :lol: :lol:
I had thought about parking at the Drovers, and heading to Beinglas Farm for a gentle stroll along the West Highland way for a few kms, but wanted something with a bit more of a challenge- :idea: Ben Ledi had spoke about it for a while and the weather was looking good, so.............

Drove through the fog to the Balloch turn off and headed for the falls of Leny carpark. It is not a surprise to encounter idiots on the road, but in pea-soup you would think they would calm it a bit- but alas they can't :shock: Approaching the give way sign for access to the Aberfoyle road this complete f*dd decides to under take me onto the road into the path of a on-coming car, who has to slam on the anchors and ends up nearly on the other side of the road- a fatality only just avoided. No stopping just kept on going :shock: I doubt if he would even care at the carnage he nearly caused !

Any way, we arrived at our destination and proceeded, in an appropriate manner, to our mission for the day :) It was a tad frosty,but the sun was already shining brightly- wooopppee ! Through the forest section, across the Forestry road, and onto the path for the day.

Just let us go, we want to run :
IMGP0052 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

It was HOT !, so stopped to delayer and deglove- and force some fluids down de-neck. It was very brightso bear with me as the quality of the photos are good, but not as I expected. Over the stile ,or under it -depending on the species :lol: and up the Icy traversing path. Looking good out there even with the strong light :)

IMGP0054 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0056 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Happy, happy, joy, joy :D

IMGP0057 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0059 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0061 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Stop hobbling about and get up here !

IMGP0062 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

These two were having themselves a ball today, even in this heat :shock: Had looked at the weather report last night and it said 'possibilty of sun-burn' :shock: They were spot on ! We reached the Hang Right with the sun now on my back I felt a tad better. The knee is holding up well, although still strapped- coping well with the rigours of two walks in a few days. Just keeping up a reasonable pace, not like the dogs !!

IMGP0063 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0064 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The view from either side,

IMGP0065 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0066 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

And behind- again !

IMGP0067 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Conditions were softening under foot as the sun beat down, so no ironmongery needed. Still not seen a soul even though there were 4 cars in the car park as we left. Onward and upward with this pair always watching :lol:

IMGP0069 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Not long to go now, great - first Lucozade sport finished and onto the second :wink: At least now there in a little breeze to take the edge off the heat. With time for another pose !

IMGP0070 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Gives an idea of the hazy conditions

IMGP0071 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0072 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0074 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We sat down to indulge in some refreshment, and watch a fellow walker approach from the Brig O' Turk side- This was Andy- a member of the Royal Navy, out for a stroll before picking up his son in the South side of Glasgow at three :wave: He took a wee photo for us, so kind :lol:

IMGP0082 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Some views from around

IMGP0076 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0077 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0078 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Bid farewell to our fellow intrepid explorer,and headed back from whence we came, with a brief glimpse back to Andy still taking photos :)

IMGP0083 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

I took this in the little dip near the style to show the degree of frost still in there, and proceeded to slip in the burn :lol: only to get wetter with the boys licking my face- glad nobody seen me :oops: :wink:

IMGP0084 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A fine day out again, for man and beasts. Cheers.
soulminer

Re: Further rehab on Ben Ledi

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 am

Certainly a lovely day for it - am rather jealous of mid week walkers esp when having to be at work :sick: your dogs seems to be in their element ! Have only been up here once back in Feb '87 - looks like the trig point has been cracked since then - must keep it in mind for future winter walks - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby soulminer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 am

Just a collision of a day off and good weather :lol: Seemed there were a good few mid-week walkers out yeterday- passed 7 on our way down.
soulminer

Postby Fudgie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 am

Like rockhopper, reading reports like this whilst having to work is a form of torture :lol: I'm ending my self imposed exile from the hills this weekend and the forecast is looking dodgy already. Typical :D :think:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dogplodder » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Things are looking up - two collie hill romps in a week! Love the way they stick out just the tips of their tongues. :lol: Knee must be holding up pretty well to have done these two - why need for orthopods? :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland