walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The weather gods smiled - Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean

The weather gods smiled - Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean

Postby charliecharles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 26/02/2013

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1025m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a testing walk in the clouds up Ben More and Stob Binnein ten days ago, Mrs C and I were back and this time we brought the sun. The forecast was for a glorious day and we couldn't resist the chance to climb next to Ben More so that we could see what it looked like. The forecast was spot on - a cloudless, sunny day with not much wind and a nice crisp, frosty start.
DSC_0233_01.JPG
A clear view of the mountains from the start

We set off in high spirits through Inverlochlarig farm, over some frozen ground that other reports say can be very boggy, and straight up the slopes of Beinn Tulaichean. We didn't follow any paths as the slope is easy to climb. Early on we saw some deer trotting away from us, a great sight and the only wildlife of the day.
DSC_0239_01.JPG
A fine sight
The views were outstanding and it was a lovely, sunny spring day. We got into hard packed snow as the slope levelled out, and after a quick energy bar we donned our crampons and set off.
IMG_0009_01.JPG
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin in the background
We reached the summit of Beinn Tulaichean quicker than we expected - the peak is a little underwhelming when climbed from the south. Pausing for a quick sandwich and a look around - Cruach Ardrain and Ben More looked great
DSC_0002_01.JPG
The view from Beinn Tulaichean to Cruach Ardrain
DSC_0240_01.JPG
Stob Binnein and ridge with Ben More
- we then headed down to the bealach and up to Cruach Ardrain. To be fair the peak of Beinn Tulaichean looked a lot better from the north.
DSC_0003_01.JPG
Beinn Tulaichean from the north
It is a fairly steep climb, but because we were on hard packed snow it wasn't difficult. We followed in the footsteps of a group who had climbed when the snow was soft, and counted ourselves lucky as it must have been hard work for them.

We thought we had arrived at the summit cairn, but no, there is a dip and small climb to the true summit. Lunch was enjoyed at the peak with stunning views all around.
DSC_0005_01.JPG
Mrs C and dog in harmony at the summit
DSC_0006_01.JPG
Ben More, Stob Binnein and I think the Tarmachan Ridge in the distance
DSC_0276_01.JPG
The view north, Crianlarich and beyond

The route back was very straightforward, following in our footsteps to the bealach, pausing only for a few photos.
DSC_0008_01.JPG
Looking back to the way we had come - Mrs C wasn't waiting for me
DSC_0009_01.JPG
An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin - our next mountains?
DSC_0291a_01.JPG
Gratuitous photo of dog
From the bealach we headed down the steep slopes to the glen where we picked up a good track back to the farm.
DSC_0296_01.JPG
The view back up to Cruach Ardrain

A really cracking day out.
charliecharles
Munro compleatist

Munros:208   

Re: The weather gods smiled - Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaich

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 pm

nice pictures and a grand day, i always like seeing reports of cruach ardrain after it broke me then i broke it ! :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland