walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall A'Buiridh

Meall A'Buiridh

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 29/12/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi haven't been around for a while but here is the latest offering.
Leave the car park following the road to the right of the ski centre then up between the next to huts and continue up the hill following the chair lift.
It was really early when i left so the visibility wasn't quite there yet.
0912290019.JPG

this next one is just to prove i didn't take the chair lift. :lol:
0912290005.JPG

Once the lift hut is reached the route heads of south westerly just off the main ski routes down the hill, where you come across the ski tows and another chair lift keep these well to your left carrying on westerly and up the hill side and the first views of Creise and another of the Buachaille come in ti view.
0912290011.JPG

From here the path heads straight up the west North West side to the cairn which comes up rather quickly,with fantastic panoramas from Ben Nevis in the north to Schiehallion in Perth round to the south and the other hills in this range.
0912290014.JPG

0912290016.JPG

0912290017.JPG

0912290019.JPG

At this point the path heads west to descend to the bellach before ascending to the ridge for creise however I noticed that i had lost all feeling in my feet so decided to stop for coffee to rectify the situation.What i was to discover next made me realise that you should never take anything for granted.Having left at 4.30am to get a good start on the hill i had prepared the night before and had congratulated myself on being so well prepared and equipped (tempting fate or what)so here its is mistake no1.Tied my boots too tight and cut off the circulation so they became two cold lumps of lead,no problem stop for coffee crampons off gaiters off boots off and put another pair of socks on get them warm again.Coffee what coffee left the flask at home error no2.Well i thought got some juice eh no it was frozen and to top off the stupidity I left the food in the fridge :lol: error no3.So to the guy i met at the summit from Loanhead if he's wondering what happened to me i had no choice but to leave Creise for another day and head back best laid plans and that .The next time i may be tempted to use the chair lift sen as how I've already climbed the first hill :lol: :lol:
Attachments
0912290009.JPG
0912290001.JPG
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Re: Meall A'Buiridh

Postby sloosh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Oh. Nae joy with the too-tight boot laces. I've done the same thing myself although not quite as numb as your feet went. :(

I was just getting into your report too and looking forward to seeing how you got on with Creise. You could've ate snow. :lol: Give yourself a good telling off on my behalf. :D
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Some good shots there - where have you been :D

Funnily enough I got a complete dead leg on a walk a couple of days ago from overtightening the top of a gaitor :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi yes somehow i managed to get the pictures in the wrong positions the last two were meant to be the first :?
The usual big changes at work and family but I'm back now and will be contributing alot more :D
cjwaugh

Postby smirnie71 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

This is probably an insanely silly question but what do you reckon are the chances of doing this walk with some Petzl spikes on rather than crampons? Also don't have an ice axe.... should I give up the idea and head for lower ground?

Wonderful photos and report by the way!

Nina :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:38 am

Personally I wouldn't go up anything like that in full snow and icy conditions without an ice axe...

You need to keep some kind of emergency rations in your bag - my bag always has various types of food, e.g. pressed fruit bars (they are probably the least thirst-making of the emergency foods I carry), chocolate (but that often freezes), nuts and raisins are good too... Bit of a disaster leaving the flask at home in those conditions though! Eating snow's okay but if you're already cold wouldn't be good!
mountain coward

Postby maddjock » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 am

I think your justified in taking the ski lift next time... :D
always good to keep emergency rations in your bag as MC points out too...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby cjwaugh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks guys sounds like a plan all i had was a bar of chocolate .I agree with MC ice axe is essential in the conditions we have just now remember that winter walking is more accustomed to mountaineering than walking and the simplest of walks can become a major expedition (especially if you forget the hot drinks and food :oops: )
cjwaugh

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 am

I'll grass my walking buddy Richard up seeing as he doesn't come on here much so probably won't see it! He took the chair lift up!! :o Have to admit though, that one of the reasons I didn't was 'cos I was feart of it! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland