walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A cracking summers day in Glen Tarken......in february?!!!!!

A cracking summers day in Glen Tarken......in february?!!!!!

Postby glenryder37 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Each, Creag Ruadh

Date walked: 28/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having endured the fantastic weather we have been afforded this past few days shackled to my work (albeit that i'm fortunate enough to work outdoors) i was buzzing with anticipation that i would get the opportunity to hit the hills with my new walking companion, i.e Woody my 3 yr old black lab before the weather was set to change for the weekend....
After some deliberation i opted for a couple of Grahams, being somewhat unsure and ill equipped for tackling anything bigger while there was significant hard packed snow and ice about to cause concern :crazy:

All that was left was to decide which ones, somewhere not too far, with good views and that would provide a stern test for the coming months, so, living in Perth i opted for Creag Each & Creag Ruadh at Glentarken near St Fillans.......this way i could get some good views of my first 2 Munros's Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich to the South, and The Lawers range of which i have so far completed 6 to the North.....having read a previous report the 6 hr trek sounded like just what was needed :)

I gave a shout on Perth Trekkers (a group of friends interested in walking) and with my neighbour in tow the 3 of us set off from perth around 9.30am and arrived at Loch Earn at around 10.30am

A couple of nice shots across to the south of Loch Earn before setting off

As with most of or outings and as i am sure most of my walking companions will testify i must admit to the finding of the correct starting point as my Achilles heel lol
Although finding the correct path (due to parking in the wrong one of numerous layby's) was a little challenging the rest of the trek was to be a very pleasant and rewarding day
we found a forestry rd in Glentarken Wood which led us to the old railway line, after following this for a few hundred mtrs we were met by a gorge with a now non existent bridge

Bridge Out!!!!!!!!

Despondant Dog

A slight detour towards the now visible pylon line would soon get us back on track and over an Existing Bridge (i use that term lightly) and on towards a somewhat strange uninhabited but perfectly furnished cottage

haha a bridge of sorts :lol:

The eerie cottage
Anybody Home?????

A little further on the views ascending Creag Each were beginning to open up

East of Loch Earn and St Fillans

"Look Ben Vorlich"

Ben Vorlich

I was led to believe prior to this walk that Creag Each afforded the best views, this i must agree and was a good excuse for several much needed breathers on the way up :roll:

Woody

West to Lochearnhead

Ben Lawers to the North

Tamachan and Lawers Range

Summit views

This is the point at which my £1.99 batteries gave up on me.....That'll teach me to be tight!!!!

After a good half hr break enjoying the scenery i managed to convince George that the hard part was done and we could easily tackle Creag Ruadh to which he agreed somewhat reluctantly :clap:

Some pictures of our descent of Creag Each and summit of Creag Ruadh from George's more trusty i-phone

Fun Time.....some Downhill Ski-ing

Skating
Are you sure this was my idea?????
Creag Ruadh Summit

Tarmachan Ridge on the Left and Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers to the right with the reservoir visible in between

Ben orlich with Stuc a'Chroin behind and some indian smoke signals

And of course it wouldn't be a complete trip report without some wildlife

Time to enjoy the rest of this Beer, i hope you enjoyed our trip as much as we did :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

glenryder37
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:4

Re: A cracking summers day in Glen Tarken......in february?!

Postby hills » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Glen Tarken is a hidden gem, good to see... :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Re: A cracking summers day in Glen Tarken......in february?!

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi there
Nice report and photos. The little cottage is charmingly named Jerusalem and I think is used occasionally by the estate. From the remains of walled fields around, it was presumably a croft and must have felt like the holy land to the crofter - it has fabulous views down Loch Earn and to the Hills West of Balquidder. On my first visit I came down by your ascent route, but there is a very pleasant and easy diagonal path through Glen Tarken Woods starting at the end of St. Fillans - by the Four Seasons hotel. I only did Creag Each, but what a nice hill: even after humungous rain the terrain was good the whole way - a few peat hags at the top but they can be avoided.
Cheeers tony
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland