walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Largs,Hill of Stake,Lochwinnoch.

Largs,Hill of Stake,Lochwinnoch.

Postby dunrig » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 28/02/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been down to the hills above Largs twice in recent weeks, hoping to climb the Hill of Stake. First time my ribs & knees were not up to it, the second I became distracted & lost in a fog of memory. Now, against my better judgement, it was time for some desperate bagging, ach sometimes you just have to do it, even if it is a crime.

Finished nightshift, caught train to Largs, went as directly as possible over Hill of Stake & down to Lochwinnoch, pathless till Misty Law where you catch a track - higher up still a fine frosty crust to the bogs, gloriously sunny early on, the last miles were a struggle but had a great sleep once home - the sleep of a justified sinner.
Station to station I would guess over 12 miles and over 700m of ascent.
P1040854.JPG
starting out
P1040871.JPG
arran
P1040893.JPG
sunny but still frozen
P1040902.JPG
hill of stake
P1040906.JPG
P1040907.JPG
follow the fence to misty law
P1040929.JPG
looking back
P1040944.JPG
misty law
P1040957.JPG
the black sheep
P1040968.JPG
lochwinnoch - barr loch
dunrig

Re: Largs,Hill of Stake,Lochwinnoch.

Postby soulminer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Been up these local hills on many occasions :) There are some boggy areas you could get sucked into up there at times, depending on the weather :lol: I used them to hone my navigation skills, only did them sometimes in the clag,so as to bounce from hillock to hillock on a bearing. A fine idea for a walk 8) Cheers.
soulminer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland