walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Burgiehill on Boxing Day

Burgiehill on Boxing Day

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Burgiehill

Date walked: 26/12/2009

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 160m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 26/12/2009
Hills - Burgiehill (254m)
Route - Parked at NJ101580 and began walking SE up the track. To add a bit of length to the walk I turned left at NJ104572 and walked just over 1km NE up the track before turning right at NJ114578 and right again at NJ115576 and walked SW along the track until it joins the road at NJ102568. Cross the road and continue SW on the track. Turn left at NJ097566 and follow the track to the summit masts/trig point. On the return I retraced steps back to the road and turned left for a brief walk down the road before turning right back onto the track at NJ101570. Continue and turn left at NJ104572 for the final downhill track back to car.
Weather - Cold and clear.
People - Me
Time - 3 Hours
Distance - 10km
Ascent - 160m
Max Altitude - 254m

200912261150burgiehillcompletetrack.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As I was staying at my parents near Forres over Christmas I took the oppurtunity to escape on Boxing Day and took a jaunt up Burgiehill. I've never really walked in this forest but know the area/roads like the back of my hand, this being my home ground.

It was a fairly relaxed, easy walk through the forest tracks with a few oppurtunites along the way for a brief view over Forres/Findhorn/Burghead/Moray Firth. A laugh was provided by a couple of skiers going down one of the tracks - one of them fell over and did a nice uncontrolled roll down the hill before coming to a stop. Don't think he was too chuffed to look up and see me about 50m laughing at him and taking a pic! (unfortunately I seem to have mistakenly deleted the pic of him lying on the deck - I'm annoyed at that!).

After the walk I took a drive to the nearby Califer Viewpoint (NJ083571) for a proper view of the area.

Loads of pheasants, as usual, mulling around on these roads

As shown above, the roads were fairly clear, but it was problematic parking on the untreated bits. A few back and forths I managed to get the car off the road enough

Let's see how good you can make forest tracks look....

Now where'd I put my sun lotion?

Mother made me sandwiches for this trip :lol: , but first I got stuck into the Jelly Beans provided by Santa :D [Beware of the pomegranate ones :twisted: ]

Burghead. Black Isle across the Moray Firth

??

The Moon

ViewRanger GPS on my mobile doing it's job perfectly - not far from all the masts!!. If you have a GPS enabled mobile phone this is an option worth considering.

Summit masts

Trig point lurking behind the mast enclosure. As this was an easy walk I used it as another oppurtunity for big pack carrying training

On the way back after walk down the road a little you get back on to a track offering nice views over the Moray Firth

Findhorn
=====================================================

Califer Viewpoint

califerviewpoint.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

And one from a day of rather different weather...

Looking South back toward Burgiehill - you can see the mast
Last edited by HighlandSC on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Burgiehill on Boxing Day

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 pm

I know someone who lives near Califer hill and wanted to see your ski pic to see if it was them :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the report, good to get first ones in on Marilyns. Especially good with the gps track OS map as it actually makes a good route description for other baggers heading this way.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:54 pm

It looked like a mother and son perhaps? It was the young lad that crashed. I've rescued the pic from my recycle bin but you can't make out who it is.
1230 26/12/09

I think this is their car:

The gps track I get from ViewRanger is fine to overlay on a map visually, but I think they'd be far to rough to follow again as a route on a gps, I presume it's just my phone/viewranger but I get spikes and loss of signal all the time - most of the one's I upload on trip reports have been manually edited to fill in gaps/remove ridiculous errors.
HighlandSC

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:24 am

I thought being on your bum a lot was expected if you're skiing! I can never understand how they manage it at all! I certainly couldn't...

I love that area - I used to visit that coast a lot and camp in my car at the old airfield at Findhorn. I also spent some time at RAF Kinloss and Lossiemouth - I preferred the latter for RAF stations, but I suppose Kinloss is in a much nicer spot really.
mountain coward

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:08 pm

I lived the first 12 years of my life in Kinloss (Dad in RAF), then Forres until fairly recently, so I've spent a lot of time in the area and many many days in Findhorn...

I'm probably biased but I'd much rather stay in Kinloss closer to that than Lossiemouth, although Lossie is still nice! Beach not as good but a nice coastal area all the same. We used to go 'boy racing' in Lossie on Sundays and get ice cream :lol: Oh and the par 3 wee golf course at Covesea was good :thumbup: Although it'd never beat a good beach party, big fire, loads of drink, nonsense going on behind sand dunes :lol: ....fortunately those were in the pre-everyone-has-a-camera-phone days!
HighlandSC

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:46 pm

"nonsense going on behind sand dunes" :lol: I've got a couple of nice sunset pics of Findhorn Bay I'll try to remember to put on here when I'm online at home after these nightshifts...
mountain coward

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Did this hill today and found your report useful, thanks. :D
I did shorter walk though parking near NJ102568.
Lots of snow.

Few photos below:

foggieclimber

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:43 am

Just adding my 2 Findhorn calm harbour in the evening shots:
Findhorn Evening Light.jpg
Findhorn Sunset.jpg
mountain coward

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:49 am

Very nice :D
HighlandSC

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 am

That poor tunnelling dog in the previous shots must have been absolutely knackered by the end of the walk!
mountain coward

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:19 am

mountain coward wrote:That poor tunnelling dog in the previous shots must have been absolutely knackered by the end of the walk!

He wasn't too bad as he was following a tunnel made by me. I was knackered :lol:
foggieclimber

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland