walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

my wife's first munro

my wife's first munro

Postby wilsongaz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:42 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 02/03/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 974m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1st of March 2013 and the sun has been out all week. I cannot do anymore diy this week and once the kids are off to school I tell my wife we are going for a walk.

By 1130 we have arrived at the Rowerdenan carpark, and begrudgingly pay the £3 as all the free spaces have gone.

I have climbed around 60 munros inadvertently through my ice climbing days, however this was to be my wife's first.

we decided that the normal tourist route was sufficiently challenging for our feeble and unseasoned bodies, and left the car par at 1145 with our jack a wawa, (that's our crossbreed head case of a dog).

if you've walked Ben Lomond you will know that the first half of the walk is relentless and keeps a fairly steep gradient until the ridge is achieved. We were both puffing and panting up this section but making good time.
ATT_1362163302684_photo-1507238382.JPG
Ben Lomond in the distance.

when we finally reached the ridge, we could see the snow covered summit of Ben Lomond standing like a sleeping monster a few kilometres ahead. Jennifer panicked slightly at the thought of going all the way to the summit. but before we knew it we had arrived at the base of the summit, but we had to negotiate the snow and ice on the path.

finally we could see the drop off the NE face and the curving snowy ridge above. we would be on the summit soon! in our enthusiasm the pace pick up to a gentle canter and soon the summit trig point was in sight, we had made it.

there were about 6 or 7 other walkers on the summit and a nice man kindly took our photo, allowing us to immortalise the moment. we spent a few minutes admiring the views and enjoying the silence.
ATT_1362162663068_photo-1817924548.JPG
ATT_1362163263196_photo-192728239.JPG

we headed down off the summit and back onto the ridge. we could both feel the fatigue setting in, and the next gruelling hour let us know that our feet were too soft and our bodies not hard enough.

we arrived at the carpark at 1615, and we both felt surprisingly good, that is once the boots were off.

even the dog was in good shape, a day to remember and record, our first Munro together.
wilsongaz
Munro compleatist

Re: my wife's first munro

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:02 am

Well done to your wife and dog on their first Munro! :clap:

Hope it's the first of many. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:232   Corbetts:57
Grahams:17   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Re: my wife's first munro

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Well done on getting out on the hills, I guess the batteries are now re-charged, and there's nothing to stop you now, get on and do some more, the fitness will improve and you will both enjoy it more. Looks like you had a fabulous day, what else would you rather do? :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland