walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Postby rob munbett » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 am

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Date walked: 02/03/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If ever there was an advert for climbing Grahams, then this is the hill. Admittedly, I did have the perfect day: crystal blue skies, cool, solid underfoot (I have the feeling that in different conditions this route could be rather muddy). I drove SW on the minor road from Drumnadrochit to the road-end at Grotaig where there was a car park and a sign-posted route to the hill. Indeed, this is a well-managed route with good gates and styles and wooden walkways over the boggiest ground ... very thoughtful! To be honest, It was merely a case of following the path up to the summit but no less enjoyable for that. There was a good track up through up though the deep heather to a large style over a deer fence and then a very pleasant walk up a broad ridge to a steeper section, on this day with a fair amount of frozen snow, which led to a succession of cairns. I took my time to visit them all because the view from each was different and spectacular but I descended to the lowest one for lunch because the views of Loch Ness just had to be savoured. The stroll back to the car, with many a backward glance, was all too short. A most enjoyable short day out.
Attachments
P1010336_edited-2.jpg
The hill from near the car park
P1010338.JPG
The track up through the heather
P1010343.JPG
The route of ascent
P1010347.JPG
The style over the deer fence and Loch Ness
P1010356.JPG
Looking towards the summit
P1010360.JPG
Various cairns on the summit
P1010365.JPG
A great place for lunch
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Very nice! This is a great wee hill. I got similarly perfect conditions one October with the bonus of a bit of cloud inversion over Loch Ness. Cracking views across to the big highland hills from here too :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 pm

This looks a good one to save for last :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland