walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wander Around The East Of Aberdeen

A Wander Around The East Of Aberdeen

Postby RicKamila » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Route description: Old Aberdeen and beach circuit

Date walked: 02/03/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 188m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As most of you know, I love Aberdeen. So with some nice weather forecast, Kamila and I set off down to the beach to wander around the eastern suburbs of Aberdeen.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked near Footdee (Fittie) and set off along the beach promenade in a northerly direction. The tide was starting to come in, but the rocks on the beach were visible, so we went down to the waters edge and had a look around where we met this little fella. Looking in our birds guide, we think its a Dunlin.

DSCF2560.JPG
Juvenile Dunlin?

Heading back up to the promenade, we walked to the pedestrian crossing at the Beach Ballroom and crossed over the road to start climbing the 28m high Broad Hill. Even though its not very high, you get a wonderful view from the trig point of Aberdeen, the Harbour and up along the sand dunes to Boddam.

DSCF2572.JPG
Aberdeen from Broad Hill

Coming back down the other side of Broad Hill, we crossed Golf Road and passed by Pittodrie Stadium, home to the not-so-magnificent Dons.

DSCF2574.JPG
Pittodrie Stadium

We took the second left after Pittodrie Stadium and made our way towards the Aberdeen Sports Village. Crossing at the traffic lights next to the Tesco Petrol Station and turned right along King Street towards the University of Aberdeen. We took the first left and walked along side the playing fields before turning right into High Street towards Kings College. There is a lovely Turkish designed entrance gate to Crombie Johnston Halls of Residence.

DSCF2576.JPG
Turkish Delight at Crombie Halls

We stopped at Kings Chapel where a wedding was taking place. It is a stunning building, if you are in Aberdeen have a look inside during the week.

DSCF2577.JPG
Kings Chapel

DSCF2581.JPG
Kings Chapel

Carrying along High Street, we passed by the New Kings Building which holds lots of memories for Kamila and finally reached the Town House at the end of the street.

DSCF2585.JPG
New Kings Building at Aberdeen Uni

DSCF2586.JPG
Old Aberdeen Town House

Crossing the lights, we carried straight on towards Seaton Park, taking a quick detour through St Machar's Cathedral. Again, if you are in Aberdeen, its highly recommended to have a look in, even if its just to see the ceiling.

DSCF2587.JPG
St Machar Cathedral

DSCF2588.JPG
One of the fortified steeples

DSCF2589.JPG
A close-up of the steeple

We walked into Seaton Park and went straight through the centre of the gardens. It looks at its best between May and August. We turned to the right and headed to the River Don where we passed a "Shoe Tree" which seems to be becoming a bit of a craze in Aberdeen, this is the third one we have seen this week.

DSCF2593.JPG
A Shoe Tree in Seaton Park

Stopping at a bench to get some sun, a small bird started singing its head off right next to us.

DSCF2599.JPG
Singing Bird at the River Don

After a few minutes rest, we walked along the somewhat muddy path behind the Hillhead Halls of Residence and set off towards the Brig o' Balgownie. We went for a wander along the road first to see the Cottown of Balgownie before heading back the way we just came and down some steps to feed the ducks at the River Don. A seal even popped its head up to say hello.

DSCF2614.JPG
Cottage at the Cottown of Balgownie

DSCF2615.JPG
Brig o' Balgownie

Knowing that the seals were in the area, we walked along the north bank of the Don to the Bridge of Don and turned right across the bridge before turning right again to get a good look at the sunbathing seals. Lazy things they are!!

DSCF2635.JPG
Lazy Seals

Back-tracking, we crossed Ellon Road and headed down the Beach Esplanade. There is a nice view of all the towers at Seaton and Balgownie from this road.

DSCF2637.JPG
Seaton and Balgownie Towers

We detoured off the road and caught a glimpse of Rick's favourite birds, the Oystercatcher, who were standing right on the edge of the Don Mouth.

DSCF2639.JPG
Oystercatchers at the Don Mouth

Heading back to the road, we made our way to the Promenade again and walked the 2 miles back to the car along the beach.

DSCF2640.JPG
Aberdeen Bay

Aberdeen truly is a great city for a wander!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: A Wander Around The East Of Aberdeen

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Ooh, Basscadet and myself did an almost identical walk on Sunday but in reverse. Certainly improved my opinion of Aberdeen :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby RicKamila » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Was a lovely day for a walk on Sunday. We were on the old Deeside railway line. Aberdeen is lovely.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 pm

My knowledge of Aberdeen is limited to Pittodrie (to watch the mighty St Johnstone on their travels) and the town centre where I drag my feet annually while Andrea goes handbag shopping so this was really interesting!!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby denfinella » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Your photos manage to capture some of Aberdeen's best parts very well :) the area around the River Don and the Bridge of Balgownie has got to be one of the city's true gems.

Glad you got such a nice day for it!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Lenore » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm

New kings building looks old! What's in it? (and what are the memories ;-) )
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 pm

It has been years since I have visited Aberdeen city, I have relatives up there that we used to visit regularly. Lots of interesting buildings and that show tree is unusual the closet I have seen is about 5 pair of trainers over a telephone wire :lol:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby RicKamila » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Lenore wrote:New kings building looks old! What's in it? (and what are the memories ;-) )

Not the sort of memories you are expecting...

New Kings does look old, but its quite modern, built in the 70's I think. Kings Chapel is from around the 1500's. New Kings is the building Kamila had most of her uni classes in, so good and bad memories.

Sarah86 wrote:It has been years since I have visited Aberdeen city, I have relatives up there that we used to visit regularly. Lots of interesting buildings and that show tree is unusual the closet I have seen is about 5 pair of trainers over a telephone wire :lol:

Some of the shoes were so high and on such little branches, it makes you wonder how they got them up there... The things Uni students can get up to hey :lol:

denfinella wrote:Your photos manage to capture some of Aberdeen's best parts very well :) the area around the River Don and the Bridge of Balgownie has got to be one of the city's true gems.

Glad you got such a nice day for it!

Indeed it is!!

Gordie12 wrote:My knowledge of Aberdeen is limited to Pittodrie (to watch the mighty St Johnstone on their travels) and the town centre where I drag my feet annually while Andrea goes handbag shopping so this was really interesting!!!!

C'mon St Johnstone!! :thumbsup:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby morag1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 pm

RicKamila wrote: I love Aberdeen

You and me both Rick, it was my second home for a long while till the family moved out to Deeside.

A great walk and great photos, always good to see the Granite City :D
morag1

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Aye, like Leithy said, we did exactly the same walk on Sunday :) Living in that neck of the woods, it is quite a nice circuit for a sunny summer after work wander/picnic for me.. :wink:
Its nice to read someones elses perception :D
You missed out the secret garden in Seaton park, and the botanic gardens, both of which are en route, and some of the best bits I would say :thumbup: Although the secret garden wouldnt be very secret then would it :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Unlike in Dundee the Aberdeen Council have insured their Archtectural Heritage to remain, some lovely looking classic buildings, spoilt for choice! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby RicKamila » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm

basscadet wrote:Aye, like Leithy said, we did exactly the same walk on Sunday :) Living in that neck of the woods, it is quite a nice circuit for a sunny summer after work wander/picnic for me.. :wink:
Its nice to read someones elses perception :D
You missed out the secret garden in Seaton park, and the botanic gardens, both of which are en route, and some of the best bits I would say :thumbup: Although the secret garden wouldnt be very secret then would it :lol:

Have been to the secret garden numerous times. We chose to walk the other side of the park instead. Im assuming you mean Cruickshanks when you say Botanic Gardens? I'll get some photos of it once Spring is in bloom :)
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby hailiamdigby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm

It's probably the case that when you've lived in a place your whole life, you rarely appreciate the good things about it. I don't have much to complain about Aberdeen but I barely give it any thought, either. When I go out for a walk, it's certainly not Aberdeen the city.
You've managed to capture great character of the city though and you got many great pics from this walk. Thanks for revitalizing my opinion of home. :clap:
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby pebbles-2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 pm

hailiamdigby -- hi, think your pc settings are out. Your comment was posted at 10.50pm today! I have had a wee dram, but I don't think that's possible unless you are H G Wells :wink: I had the same prob with my WH posts until I adjusted the settings in my account settings.

Or maybe your time is fine and I really have had too much Glenmorangie. 8)
pebbles-2

Postby pebbles-2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Now I'm really confused!! Or something else beginning with P induced by incholol. Mine are out too?? What's occurring? :?
pebbles-2

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland